Confusion over notation for finding limits

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the limit of a converging sequence and the confusion surrounding the use of notation and proper presentation of the answer. The person asking the question is unsure of how to properly present their answer and is seeking help to understand the concept. Two examples of finding limits are provided and the person asking the question is seeking guidance on how to present the working and answers using proper notation.
feldspar
I don't know how to properly present my answer to find the limit of a converging sequence like (1/2)^n.

I would just write something like this...

y=1/x+1, x=∞ } y=1/∞+1=0+1=1

but the syllabus gives something completely different and my textbooks don't seem to cover this portion of the syllabus.

This is the syllabus for A-level mathematics in the UK, presumably the equivalent of precalculus.
http://www.suffolkmaths.co.uk/pages/A-Level%20Activities/Menus/Pure.htm
press ctrl+f then type "finding" and you come across this

Iterative formulae

To include their use in finding of a limit L as n → ∞ by putting L = f(L)

I'm not entirely sure what it means by "by putting L = f(L)".

I get the impression this means substituting n for ∞ to find whether a sequence is periodic, divergent or convergent and it's limits if it has them but I have no idea what a "iterative formulae" is, neither do I know the proper notation I need to present my working. I can't find any examples of proper notation to follow and make sure I'm communicating my answer properly. I've been checking for quite a while now on the internet but I can't find any examples and I would appreciate some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
feldspar said:
I don't know how to properly present my answer to find the limit of a converging sequence like (1/2)^n.
The sequence {(1/2)n}, n = 1, 2, ... converges, and in fact converges to zero.
feldspar said:

This makes no sense. Is this supposed to be related to the sequence you started with? Either way, we NEVER substitute ∞ in an expression or equation. That's why we use limits.
feldspar said:
but the syllabus gives something completely different and my textbooks don't seem to cover this portion of the syllabus.

This is the syllabus for A-level mathematics in the UK, presumably the equivalent of precalculus.

Iterative formulae

I get the impression this means substituting n for ∞ to find whether a sequence is periodic, divergent or convergent and it's limits if it has them but I have no idea what a "iterative formulae" is, neither do I know the proper notation I need to present my working. I can't find any examples of proper notation to follow and make sure I'm communicating my answer properly. I've been checking for quite a while now on the internet but I can't find any examples and I would appreciate some help.

feldspar said:

Iterative formulae

It is not clear what is wanted because the notation is sloppy; I don't know if the person setting the problem was sloppy or whether you copied it out carelessly. The issue is: do you mean [tex] y = \frac{1}{x} + 1, \text{ or } y = \frac{1}{x+1}?[/tex] If you don't use LaTeX, you must use brackets to enforce proper meaning; the first meaning would be written as y = (1/x) + 1 or y = 1 + 1/x, while the second one would be y = 1/(1+x). Depending on which you mean you will get different results when you take x → ∞.

RGV

Mark44 said:
The sequence {(1/2)n}, n = 1, 2, ... converges, and in fact converges to zero.

Ray Vickson said:
do you mean [tex] y = \frac{1}{x} + 1, \text{ or } y = \frac{1}{x+1}?[/tex]

I was trying to explain I wanted to know how to present a handwritten answer, I suppose I should just ask how to properly present the working and answers to these questions, the 2 questions are...

1: Find the limit of [tex] y = (\frac{1}{2})^x [/tex] as x approaches infinity

2: Find the limit of [tex] y = \frac{1}{x} + 1 [/tex] as x approaches infinity

feldspar said:
I was trying to explain I wanted to know how to present a handwritten answer, I suppose I should just ask how to properly present the working and answers to these questions, the 2 questions are...

1: Find the limit of [tex] y = (\frac{1}{2})^x [/tex] as x approaches infinity

2: Find the limit of [tex] y = \frac{1}{x} + 1 [/tex] as x approaches infinity

The work you show depends on how much detail your instructor wants to see. For example, if you need to use the definition of the limit in each problem, that's different from just evaluating each limit.

If all you need to do is evaluate each limit, both of these are pretty easy. The first has a limit of 0; the second has a limit of 1.

I have to use proper notation to show I understand that as x approaches infinity, (1/x) reaches 0, therefore as x approaches infinity, (1/x) + 1 approaches 0 + 1.

If you were to divide up an apple infinite times you would end up with infinitely small shares which might as well be 0 unless you want to split hairs. Here is my attempt.

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{1}{x} + 1=(1/∞) + 1 = 0 + 1 = 1[/tex]

The same could be said of the other equation, if you halve something infinite times you end up with an infinitely small share.

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}(\frac{1}{2})^x=(1^∞)/(2^∞) = (1/∞) = 0[/tex]

I know infinity is a concept not a number but I don't know how else to express my ideas using mathematical notation.

What is the purpose of using different notations for finding limits?

The different notations for finding limits, such as using "lim" or "→", serve as a shorthand way to represent the concept of a limit. This makes it easier to write and understand mathematical expressions involving limits.

What is the difference between "lim" and "→" when used in limits?

The use of "lim" and "→" in limits is essentially the same, as they both represent the idea of a limit. However, "lim" is commonly used when writing the limit in a formal mathematical expression, while "→" is more commonly used when showing the approach of a variable towards a limit value.

Can "lim" and "→" be used interchangeably in all cases?

No, "lim" and "→" cannot be used interchangeably in all cases. In certain situations, one notation may be more appropriate to use than the other. For example, when dealing with infinite limits, "lim" is typically used to indicate that the limit does not exist, while "→" is not used in this context.

How do I determine which notation to use for a specific limit problem?

In most cases, either "lim" or "→" can be used for a specific limit problem. It is important to follow the notation used in the given context or textbook to maintain consistency. If there is no specific notation given, it is generally acceptable to use either one.

Are there any other notations used for finding limits?

Yes, there are other notations used for finding limits, such as using parentheses around the limit variable, or using the words "approaches" or "tends to" instead of symbols. However, "lim" and "→" are the most commonly used notations and are widely accepted in mathematical literature.