1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Confusion With Derivation of Fresnel Equations

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.05.38.png
    Okay, so I'm working with the diagrams above. ##i## denotes incident, ##r## reflected, and ##t## transmitted.

-We're working in two HIL dielectrics. Incoming and outgoing waves are of form ##Aexp[i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}- \omega t) ##. As I understand it, Maxwell's equations give four boundary conditions for this - Let:
    • ##\vec{\hat{n}}## be a unit normal vector to the interface,
    • ##\rho{SC}## is the surface free charge
    • Subscript 1,2 refers to medium 1,2
    Let's just look at the p-case:
    • The paralell component of the ##\vec{E}## field must be continuous over the boundary.
    • But the perpendicular component is also continuous over the boundary, since we know:
    (1) $$ \vec{\hat{n}} \cdot(\vec{D_{1}} -\vec{D_{2}}) = \rho_{SC} $$
    and in a dielectric, ## \rho_{SC}=0##, and since the dielectric is HIL - ## |\vec{D}| = \epsilon|\vec{E}| ## , i.e:

(2) $$ \vec{\hat{n}} \cdot \epsilon ( \vec{E_{1}} -\vec{E_{2}} ) =0 $$

- For the wave to be continuous parallel to the boundary, we must have ##\theta_{incident} = \theta_{reflected} ##, as shown, and also that ## n_{1}sin(\theta^{i}) = n_{2} sin(\theta^{r}) ##. [Since the exponential terms must be equal]. So we can just work in terms of the amplitudes:

Then, for parallel continuity:

(3) $$ (E_{0}^{i}+E_{0}^{r})cos \theta^{i} = E_{0}^{t}cos \theta^{t} $$

And for perpendicular continuity:

(4) $$ (E_{0}^{r}-E_{0}^{i}) sin \theta^{i} = -E_{0}^{t} sin \theta^{t} \implies E_{0}^{t} sin \theta^{t} = (E_{0}^{i} -E_{0}^{r}) sin \theta^{i} $$

Solving these simultaneously, we arrive at the result:

(5) $$ r = \frac{E_{0}^{r}}{E_{0}^{i}} = \frac{ cotan \theta^{t} - cotan \theta^{i} }{ cotan \theta^{i} + cotan \theta^{2} } = \frac{ cos\theta^{t} sin \theta^{i} -sin \theta^{t} cos \theta^{i} }{ cos \theta^{t} sin \theta^{i} + sin \theta^{i} cos \theta^{t}} $$

Except this is wrong, since if ## n_{1} sin \theta^{i} = n_{2} sin \theta^{t} ##, then we can rewrite (5) as:

(6) $$ r= \frac{n_{2}cos \theta^{t} - n_{1} cos \theta^{i} }{ n^{2}cos\theta^{t}+n_{1}cos \theta^{i}} $$

Which is not the result my lecturer gets! Can someone explain where I made my mistake? Would be very grateful!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

Henryk

Gold Member

The mistake is in equation 2. Different media have different dielectric constants,
    Rewrite the equation 2 as ##\vec n⋅ (\epsilon_1 \vec E_1 −\epsilon_2 \vec E_2)=0##
    Refractive index is related to dielectric constant by ## n_1 = \sqrt{\epsilon_1 \mu_1}## and ## n_2 = \sqrt{\epsilon_2 \mu_2}##
    Assuming non-magnetic materials, ## \mu_1 = \mu_2 = 1##.
    Then correct equations 4 and 5.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted