Confusion with regards to power lines and the power lost

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Coolamebe
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Ok, so the title was pretty vague, I'm not sure how to succinctly describe the confusion. Anyway, so I've learned that the power lost is P=I2R, and so by increasing the voltage, as P=VI and is constant, the current will be lowered, and thus the power lost will decrease.
I'm confused about a couple things. While my physics teacher was specifically talking about P=I2R, should not P=V2/R also give the value, and so by increasing the voltage we increase the power lost? Is this not a contradiction?
I feel like it could be remedied if the wires in power lines are not ohmic conductors and so half the math I did above is invalid.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation relates to the power dissipated (lost) in the transmission cables so the voltage you need is the voltage across the cables. I think you are confusing this with the voltage across the load (at the end of the cables)
 
lychette said:
The calculation relates to the power dissipated (lost) in the transmission cables so the voltage you need is the voltage across the cables. I think you are confusing this with the voltage across the load (at the end of the cables)
Can you explain this a little more in depth? My teacher explained this very superficially so I'm not too sure on this.