1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with the divergence of E fields

Tags:
  1. Dec 28, 2015 #1
    Suppose I have electric field of the form ##\mathbf{E} = 3x\mathbf{i} + 3y\mathbf{j}##. Calculating the charge density gives me ##\rho = \epsilon_0 \nabla\cdot\mathbf{E} = 6\epsilon_0##.
    But now if I turn one of the components of the field in the opposite direction, for example ##\mathbf{E} = 3x\mathbf{i} - 3y\mathbf{j}##, then the charge density vanishes. I am confused with this because the only difference between the first and the second fields is just the direction, geometrically they are similar. Where do I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2015 #2
    You are on a 2D world. What must be ##\rho## on 3D world to make a field like ##\mathbf{E} = 3x\hat{\mathbf{i}}+3y\hat{\mathbf{j}} + 0\hat{\mathbf{k}} ##?

4. Dec 28, 2015 #3
    Untitled-1.png Untitled-2.png
    Do these look "geometrically similar" to you?

5. Dec 28, 2015 #4
    The divergence of such a field is ##6\epsilon##, so this kind of charge distribution may generate that field.
    @Fightfish ah I see so they are actually quite different.

6. Dec 28, 2015 #5
    A constant surface charge density ##\rho## make a field ##\mathbf{E} = c\mathbf{k}##, for infinity surface. Flux by point sources relates by ##1/r^2## for 3D, by ##1/r## for 2D and are constants for 1D. Just trust your calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook