1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Congruence in Quadratic Integers

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For my number theory course, I'm supposed to come up with a definition of congruence in quadratic integers, and define the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. Relevant equations

None known.

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have no real idea how to even start this question. Could I please get some help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What makes you think it is any different from congruence in the integers?

4. Jun 14, 2007 #3
    I just don't quite grasp the concept. We've only been working with quadratic integers for about two days, and I'm just confused. For example, if we are doing mod i, would every quadratic integer be equal to 0 mod i?

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does i divide every quadratic integer? Yes: i is a unit un Z, that is it has a multiplicative inverse.

It is precisely the same as ordinary modulo arithmetic, and has nothing to do with the quadratic integers per se.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?