Conical pendulum with two charges

In summary: The left charge is experiencing a force Fleft=-6.7N and the right charge is experiencing a force Fright=+6.7N. The charges are repelling each other and the net force on them is -6.7+6.7=-13.4N in the opposite direction.
Gabriel Maia
11139900_1047737661920777_1381128077_n.jpg

The sistem above is the one I'm interested in. There is two equally charged spheres spinning on a plane. The line has L=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] m and the spheres weight 0.6Kg. The angular speed is [itex]\omega[/itex] = 2rad/[itex]s[/itex].

The radius for the circular trajectory is R=1m and so the centripetal force is [itex]F_{c}=m\omega^{2}R=2.4N[/itex].

I must find the charges q so

[itex]2.4=k\frac{q^{2}}{(2R)^{2}}[/itex], right? Where [itex]k=9*10^{9}N m^{2} C^{-2}[/itex].

I found q=32.7[itex]\mu C[/itex] but the problem is said to have an answer 40[itex]\mu C[/itex].

Where have I commited a mistake if any?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you mistyped some numbers, but the centripetal force you calculated seems a couple of orders of magnitude off.
Secondly, you show the spheres as having the same charge, not opposite charges, so they are not going to provide a force in the right direction.
Thirdly, the diagram makes it look as though they are suspended from wires. Is that the case?

haruspex said:
Maybe you mistyped some numbers, but the centripetal force you calculated seems a couple of orders of magnitude off.
Secondly, you show the spheres as having the same charge, not opposite charges, so they are not going to provide a force in the right direction.
Thirdly, the diagram makes it look as though they are suspended from wires. Is that the case?

I mistyped the angular velocity. I wrote 0.2... now it's corrected. It should be 2.

They are repelling each other and yes they are suspended from wires. The component of the wire's tension pointing to the center of the circular trajectory balances the Coulomb force. This system is spinning in this configuration.

Gabriel Maia said:
I mistyped the angular velocity. I wrote 0.2... now it's corrected. It should be 2.

They are repelling each other and yes they are suspended from wires. The component of the wire's tension pointing to the center of the circular trajectory balances the Coulomb force. This system is spinning in this configuration.
Ok, so draw yourself a free body diagram of one charge. What are the forces on it and which way do they act? What do the horizontal and vertical Fnet=ma equations tell you?

1. What is a conical pendulum with two charges?

A conical pendulum with two charges is a scientific apparatus that consists of a mass attached to a string or wire, which is then suspended from a fixed point. In this setup, there are two charges that interact with each other through electromagnetic forces, causing the pendulum to move in a conical motion.

2. What is the purpose of a conical pendulum with two charges?

The purpose of a conical pendulum with two charges is to study the relationship between electromagnetic forces and motion. By observing the movement of the pendulum, scientists can gain a better understanding of how these forces interact and affect the pendulum's motion.

3. How does a conical pendulum with two charges work?

The two charges in the conical pendulum setup create an electric field that exerts a force on the other charge, causing it to move in a circular motion. This motion is constrained by the string or wire, creating a conical path.

4. What factors affect the motion of a conical pendulum with two charges?

The motion of a conical pendulum with two charges is affected by several factors, including the charges' magnitude, the length of the string or wire, and the angle at which the pendulum is suspended. These factors can impact the strength of the electric field and the force exerted on the charges, thereby changing the pendulum's motion.

5. What are the real-world applications of a conical pendulum with two charges?

A conical pendulum with two charges can be used in various scientific experiments, such as studying the principles of electromagnetism, determining the charge-to-mass ratio of particles, and investigating the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. It also has practical applications in devices such as mass spectrometers and particle accelerators.