1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugate Elements of a Symmetric Group

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    Is the the following definition correct?

Two elements a and b of a group G are said to be CONJUGATE if there exists g in G such that [tex]a=gbg^{-1}[/tex].

For instance, show that all elements in the symmetric group S5 of order 6 conjugate.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

EDIT: Yes, that's the correct definition, as well.

Again, do it: take an element of order 6, compute its conjugates with a couple of elements and see who to generate all elements of order 6.

Eg, in S_n n>2, consider (12)(23)(12)=(13), thus it's clear that all elements of order 2 are conjugate

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  4. Dec 5, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incidentally, when i say "just do it" i'm not being impatient, it's just that sometimes in maths you sadly just have to get your hands dirty with some calculations.

5. Dec 5, 2005 #4
    I know, I just think I remember a theorem that says two elements in a symmetric group are conjugate if and only if they have the same cycle shape. There are 7 different cycle shapes in S5, I think.

6. Dec 6, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure what you're getting at. Perhaps if you realized there was only one cycle shape which corresponded to elements of order 6 that would help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?