Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conjugate Elements of a Symmetric Group

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    Is the the following definition correct?

Two elements a and b of a group G are said to be CONJUGATE if there exists g in G such that [tex]a=gbg^{-1}[/tex].

For instance, show that all elements in the symmetric group S5 of order 6 conjugate.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

EDIT: Yes, that's the correct definition, as well.

Again, do it: take an element of order 6, compute its conjugates with a couple of elements and see who to generate all elements of order 6.

Eg, in S_n n>2, consider (12)(23)(12)=(13), thus it's clear that all elements of order 2 are conjugate

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  4. Dec 5, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incidentally, when i say "just do it" i'm not being impatient, it's just that sometimes in maths you sadly just have to get your hands dirty with some calculations.

5. Dec 5, 2005 #4
    I know, I just think I remember a theorem that says two elements in a symmetric group are conjugate if and only if they have the same cycle shape. There are 7 different cycle shapes in S5, I think.

6. Dec 6, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure what you're getting at. Perhaps if you realized there was only one cycle shape which corresponded to elements of order 6 that would help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook