Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connect electric guitar pickup to PC

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I would like to connect my guitar pickup directly to my PC, is it possible?

I've wired an electric guitar pickup to a cable, which plugs directly to my sound card (where a microphone ought to be plugged):

Sound Card -> Cable -> Electric Guitar Pickup.

But it does not work properly. My PC almost does not receive any data - you can only notice it, when you strongly tap a massive iron on the pickup magnets (such as scissors).

It is important to add, that when I plug a standard electric guitar to my sound card (with a similar cable which I am now using), it works perfectly.

Please, Could anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Do you already know that one of the connections on a stereo plug used for PC microphones is actually a power outlet, not a microphone input?
    This also means the input is not stereo.

You need to connect to the contact that goes to the tip of the plug, not the one that goes to the ring around this tip.

Also check that the microphone input is not muted.
    To do this go to START then CONTROL PANEL then SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES

Then find the AUDIO section and look for microphone recording volume. (This may vary with your sound card).

Check that the microphone is selected, its volume is maximum and the mute square is not marked.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook