Connecting a 12v Control panel to a 24v Truck system

In summary: If the two 12V batteries in the truck are connected in parallel you can treat them like one big 12V battery.If they are connected in series to make 24 V I don't think it's possible to connect them to that control panel.
CHARLOTTE34
Help!
I am connecting a Sergent control panel (to power a motorhome 12v/240v system), with a 1200W converter for a solar panel that trickle charges a 12v battery and a leisure battery.

This would not be the problem but my truck runs on 2 batteries that run 24v.

Does anyone have an idea on how these two can be connected??

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the two truck batteries aren't just used in parallel for starting only? Have you measured 24V anywhere in the truck?

CHARLOTTE34 said:
This would not be the problem but my truck runs on 2 batteries that run 24v.

upload_2015-5-9_18-56-29.png
Get hold of some two-pole switches (with a high current rating, ask in boat accessory shops) and connect them as shown. When all the switches are in upper position, the trickle charges goes to both batteries. In the lower position, the batteries are connected for driving. Use the lower battery as a leisure battery.

Likes CHARLOTTE34
I think I answered my own questions. You're probably in the UK where 24V truck systems are not uncommon. Still confused; are the truck and motorhome two vehicles? If so, you want to share the solar cell between them?

insightful said:
Are you sure the two truck batteries aren't just used in parallel for starting only? Have you measured 24V anywhere in the truck?
Thanks, I believe this is the case as we have measured only 12v across each battery individually.

CHARLOTTE34 said:
Thanks, I believe this is the case as we have measured only 12v across each battery individually.

12V across each battery individually doesn't tell you anything (except that they're 12V batteries, which we already knew). The question is whether they're connected in parallel to produce a 12V system with two battery's worth of capacity, or in series to produce a 24V system. To answer that you need to measure the voltage between the negative terminal of one battery and the positive terminal of the other, while the moor is running. If it is 24V the batteries are connected in series and you have a 24V system; if it is 12V the batteries are connected in parallel and you have a 12V system.

Likes CHARLOTTE34
Nugatory said:
12V across each battery individually doesn't tell you anything (except that they're 12V batteries, which we already knew). The question is whether they're connected in parallel to produce a 12V system with two battery's worth of capacity, or in series to produce a 24V system. To answer that you need to measure the voltage between the negative terminal of one battery and the positive terminal of the other, while the moor is running. If it is 24V the batteries are connected in series and you have a 24V system; if it is 12V the batteries are connected in parallel and you have a 12V system.

Ok thankyou for that information, I will check this today.

If that is the case I have a control panel EC328, that i would like to connect to which has the facility to charge the battery when the motorcaravan engine is shut off, do you know a way of connecting the two? as in it's wiring diagram it only states connection to 1 leasure battery (which I have) and one 12v battery, not two.

Kind regards and thankyou for your patience with a layperson.

Can you confirm that you have three batteries...

The 12V leisure battery.
Two 12V batteries associated with the engine of the truck/motorhome that might be connected in series (24V) or parallel (12V).

If that's the case then...

If the two 12V batteries in the truck are connected in parallel you can treat them like one big 12V battery.

If they are connected in series to make 24 V I don't think it's possible to connect them to that control panel.

Got a photo of the two batteries? We might be able to work it out from that.

Likes CHARLOTTE34
Get hold of some two-pole switches (with a high current rating, ask in boat accessory shops) and connect them as shown.

It could be a lot more complicated than that. For example if these are the main/starter batteries for the truck things like the radio may cause issues (eg need to enter PIN number each time you switch over). Any alarm system may also get unhappy.

Likes CHARLOTTE34
CWatters said:
It could be a lot more complicated than that. For example if these are the main/starter batteries for the truck things like the radio may cause issues (eg need to enter PIN number each time you switch over). Any alarm system may also get unhappy.
As I said - use the lower battery as a leisure battery (including radio and alarm etc.). The only thing I assume, is that the upper battery is needed for start and driving.

Likes CHARLOTTE34
CWatters said:
Can you confirm that you have three batteries...

The 12V leisure battery.
Two 12V batteries associated with the engine of the truck/motorhome that might be connected in series (24V) or parallel (12V).

If that's the case then...

If the two 12V batteries in the truck are connected in parallel you can treat them like one big 12V battery.

If they are connected in series to make 24 V I don't think it's possible to connect them to that control panel.

Got a photo of the two batteries? We might be able to work it out from that.

Thankyou CWatters,

I shall take some photos tomorrow and post by the evening.

What you have stated above is the case, I have one leisure battery 12V and I am still to find out whether the two 12V batteries associated with the engine are 12v or 24v,

but the truck is running now so tomorrow i hope to measure the voltage across the two batteries to determine this.

Thanks again

Svein said:
As I said - use the lower battery as a leisure battery (including radio and alarm etc.). The only thing I assume, is that the upper battery is needed for start and driving.

Ah ok yes I misunderstood.

If it's a 24V system it should be possible to use your circuit in post #3.

Likes CHARLOTTE34
CWatters said:
Ah ok yes I misunderstood.

If it's a 24V system it should be possible to use your circuit in post #3.
Thankyou.

upload_2015-5-11_18-14-58.png
A slightly simpler version. Both switches in the lower position: Trickle charge both batteries. Both switches in the upper position: 24V for driving. The diodes must be able to block 30V and conduct the trickle charge. The lower battery is still used as a leisure battery.

I think your first version might be better. The control panel Charlotte mentioned can use the vehicle battery to power the mobile home when the 12V leisure battery in the mobile home is low.

Edit: The diodes may also mess with the charging. Looks like it changes the charge current depending on the battery voltage. Para 3.2..

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/EC328_User_Instructions.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CHARLOTTE34
To all,
I have found it is a 12v battery set (x2) connected in parallel.

I now have the continuing task of connecting the system,

Thankyou to all for your knowledge and help.

It is most appreciated.

Kind regards
Charlotte34

That should make life a lot easier.

Oh dear...I was given misinformation and on checking myself again...

I have not been able to use a multimeter over the batteries, but I have checked a couple of lamps and they are rated at 24v.

So from this I gather I have a 24v truck system.

CHARLOTTE34 said:
Oh dear...I was given misinformation and on checking myself again...

I have not been able to use a multimeter over the batteries, but I have checked a couple of lamps and they are rated at 24v.

So from this I gather I have a 24v truck system.
Not necessarily. A 24v-rated lamp will glow if you apply 12v. Test lamps are not for measuring unknown volatges, they're for detecting the presence or absence of known voltages.

1. Can a 12v control panel be connected to a 24v truck system?

Yes, it is possible to connect a 12v control panel to a 24v truck system. However, it is important to use the appropriate voltage converter or regulator to ensure compatibility and prevent damage to the control panel.

2. How do I know if my truck system is 24v or 12v?

Most modern trucks use a 24v electrical system, but it is always best to consult the owner's manual or a professional mechanic to confirm the voltage of your specific truck system. You can also check the voltage of the battery, as a 12v battery will have six cells while a 24v battery will have 12 cells.

3. What is the purpose of a control panel in a truck system?

A control panel in a truck system is used to monitor and control various functions and devices within the truck, such as lights, heating and cooling systems, and audio equipment. It allows for convenient and centralized management of these components.

4. Can a 12v control panel be used in a 24v truck system without a voltage converter?

No, it is not recommended to use a 12v control panel in a 24v truck system without a voltage converter. The difference in voltage can cause damage to the control panel and other components in the truck system.

5. How can I ensure a safe and proper connection between a 12v control panel and a 24v truck system?

To ensure a safe and proper connection, it is important to use a voltage converter or regulator that is specifically designed for the voltage difference between the control panel and the truck system. It is also recommended to consult a professional mechanic for assistance with the installation process.