1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connection between polynomials and Pascal's triangle

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    I recently discovered that for a 3rd degree polynomial I was studying, f(5) - 4f(4) + 6f(3) - 4f(2) + f(1) = 0. At first I just though it was coincidental that the coefficients were the 5th row of Pascal's Triangle, but then I tried a 2nd degree polynomial and found that f(4) - 3f(3) + 3f(2) - f(1) = 0, which is the 4th row. The same thing worked for 1st and 4th degree polynomials I tried, using the 3rd and 6th row as coefficients. I've tried to reason through why this might be the case, but without success. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Another way of looking at the same equation is that expresses f(5) in terms of the value of the polynomial at previous consecutive values: f(5) = 4f(4) - 6f(3) + 4f(2) - f(1) and so this link might be relevant: http://ckrao.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/finite-differences-for-polynomial-extrapolation/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook