Conne's indexing construction for Penrose tilings

In summary, in Appendix D of Alain Conne's "Noncommutative Geometry", he outlines a process for transforming Penrose tilings of the plane, which are made up of two types of triangles labeled L and S, into a series of 0's and 1's. This process involves eliminating certain sides of the triangles that fulfill specific conditions. However, there is a limitation in this process when n=m, as shown in Figure 3 on page 94. A similar process is described by Michel Lapidus in his book "In Search of the Riemann Zeros", using the same triangles labeled L and R. However, Lapidus' method is more definite and eliminates different sides of the triangles than Con
nomadreid
Gold Member
in Appendix D, pp. 179 ff, of Alain Conne's "Noncommutative Geometry", he outlines a process. He looks at Penrose tilings of the plane which are composed of two types of triangles

L [with 2 longer sides of length [itex]\phi[/itex]n+1, and one shorter side of [itex]\phi[/itex]n) for integers n, whereby [itex]\phi[/itex] is the golden ratio (1+[itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex])/2] and

S [with 2 shorter sides of length [itex]\phi[/itex]m, and one longer side of [itex]\phi[/itex]m+1) for integers m]

put together by certain rules (among which include that a common side to two triangles must have the same endpoints for both sides). [The familiar darts and kites are combinations of these triangles that help in putting the triangles together, but are not important for this question.]
The process [the purpose of which is to code the tiling into a series of 0's and 1's, but that is also not important for this question] is to transform a tiling into another tiling by eliminating each side which fulfills two conditions:

(a) constitutes a border between two different kinds of triangles
(b) is a longer side of L and a shorter side of S.

This works fine, as long as n≠m (specifically, if n+1=m). But he himself gives an example (Figure 3, p. 94) of a tiling where n=m. In this case, I don't see how this process could work. Can anyone please explain this?

In alternative but similar process [which is to achieve the same set of codings] in pp. 412-413 of Appendix F, in the book "In Search of the Riemann Zeros" by Michel L. Lapidus, which uses the same triangles (labeling them L and R instead of L and S, resp.), the author eliminates sides that fulfill (a) and
(c) is the longer side of S (=R) and the shorter side of L (that is, the reverse of (b)).

Again, unless m+1=n, I don't see how this could work either. (Lapidus gives the example of a tiling with m=n in Figure 2 on page 413.)

(Lapidus' method is a bit nicer in that it is more definite: in Conne's method, you have to choose between two sides of each triangle to look at, whereas Lapidus has only one side of each triangle that has to be considered. That is seen in the difference of the indefinite and definite articles in conditions (b) and (c) resp.)

I would be grateful for help on this step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

To make this question perhaps more manageable, I would be happy for an answer for the case of n=m=0. Let me completely restate the question:

Let ##\phi## equal to the Golden Ratio
Make two triangles

L=##\phi##,##\phi##,1
S= ##\phi##, 1,1

Tile the plane with these with a kite-and-darts Penrose tiling http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PenroseTiles.html Vertices of one triangle always touch vertices of another.

To make a new tiling further composed of these triangles, there is the possibility of "deflation" and "inflation". "Deflation" consists of cutting up each L into two smaller versions of L and one smaller version of S, and each S into one smaller version of L and one smaller version of L. OK, this I see.

"Inflation" is supposedly the opposite: combining triangles by eliminating borders in order to come up with enlargements of L and S.

But this is easier said than done. One method is allegedly to borders of length ##\phi##. But when I follow this, it doesn't seem to work out.

The question: can someone explain, or at least direct me to a good site which does, a deflation process which starts from L and S? The sites I find either hand-wave over inflation (deflation is easier to explain) or use L and an enlarged version of S. (That is, with S* =S enlarged by ##\phi##)

Motivation for the question: Connes and by Lapidus (and certainly others) code the inflation process (0 and 1 correspond to whether a triangle ends up in an enlarged L or an enlarged (by a factor of S) on the space of all possible tilings with the terniary Cantor set.

1. What is Conne's indexing construction for Penrose tilings?

Conne's indexing construction is a mathematical method for generating a unique numerical index for each tile in a Penrose tiling, which is a non-periodic tiling with five-fold rotational symmetry.

2. How does Conne's indexing construction work?

The construction involves dividing each tile into smaller sub-tiles and assigning a unique index to each sub-tile based on its position and orientation within the larger tile. These indices are then combined to form an overall index for the larger tile.

3. What is the benefit of using Conne's indexing construction for Penrose tilings?

Conne's indexing construction allows for a systematic and efficient way to label and organize the tiles in a Penrose tiling. This makes it easier to study and analyze the properties of these complex tilings.

4. Are there any limitations to Conne's indexing construction?

One limitation is that the construction only applies to Penrose tilings with a specific type of inflation rule, known as the "golden inflation rule." It may not be applicable to other types of non-periodic tilings.

5. How is Conne's indexing construction related to other methods for labeling Penrose tilings?

Conne's indexing construction is one of several methods developed for labeling Penrose tilings. It is closely related to the Ammann-Beenker notation and the de Bruijn notation, but differs in its use of a hierarchical indexing system.