Conservation Laws and the Movement of Particles around a Pole

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particle Pole
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Jahnavi
Messages
848
Reaction score
102

Homework Statement


string.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



First and foremost I am not sure about how the particle moves around the pole .Can it keep moving in horizontal circle .Or do we have to assume this .

Is it something like a conical pendulum ?

I don't have much ideas to solve this problem . Perhaps I need to conserve angular momentum of the particle about the pole . Is that so ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Perhaps I need to conserve angular momentum of the particle about the pole .
That is one to consider. What conditions are needed for its a.m. about the pole to be conserved? Does the pole have some thickness? Does that matter?
What other conservation law might be applicable? Any reasons that might not be valid?