Conservation of Angular Momentum of solid sphere

In summary, a small solid sphere with given radius and mass rolls without slipping on the inside of a large fixed hemisphere with a vertical axis of symmetry. The sphere starts at the top from rest and has a kinetic energy of 0.001J at the bottom. The potential energy at the bottom is -0.001J. At the top, the sphere has 0 energy and at the bottom, it has only potential energy.
G-reg

Homework Statement

A small solid sphere, with radius 0.25 cm and mass 0.61 g rolls without slipping on the inside of a large fixed hemisphere with radius 17 cm and a vertical axis of symmetry. The sphere starts at the top from rest.

And I figured out that the KE at the bottom is = .001J

Homework Equations

I really don't know what equations would be relevant besides a proportion..

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking it's something like

(#/.001) = (x/100)
and I cross multiply to find x
but I really have no clue and would really appreciate some help on this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you want to find?

The fraction of its kinetic energy at the bottom is associated with rotation about an axis through its center of mass

G-reg said:
The fraction of its kinetic energy at the bottom is associated with rotation about an axis through its center of mass

How did you get the kinetic energy at the bottom?

by multiplying mgh = (6.1e-4)(9.8)(.17) = .001J

G-reg said:
by multiplying mgh = (6.1e-4)(9.8)(.17) = .001J

Then you are measuring potential energy relative to a plane passing through the radius of the hemisphere (taken as 0 potential energy).

In that case, the potential energy at the bottom is mgh = (6.1e-4)(9.8)(-0.17) = -0.001 J

Ok, so at the top, what energy does it have?

At the bottom what types of energy does the sphere possess?

Ok, so at the top it would be 0?
At the bottom it would be all PE again

What is the conservation of angular momentum of a solid sphere?

The conservation of angular momentum of a solid sphere is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of a solid sphere will not change unless an external force is applied to it.

Why is the conservation of angular momentum important?

The conservation of angular momentum is important because it helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects and systems. It also allows us to make predictions about the motion of objects and to design systems that utilize angular momentum, such as gyroscopes and satellites.

How is angular momentum of a solid sphere calculated?

The angular momentum of a solid sphere can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating). This can be represented by the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum of a solid sphere?

The conservation of angular momentum of a solid sphere can be affected by external torques, which can change the angular momentum of the system. The moment of inertia of the sphere also plays a role, as objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater resistance to changes in angular momentum.

Is the conservation of angular momentum always true for a solid sphere?

Yes, the conservation of angular momentum is a universal principle that applies to all objects, including solid spheres. As long as there are no external torques acting on the sphere, its angular momentum will remain constant.