Conservation of charge and LHC

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of charge conservation in collisions between protons in the Large Hadron Collider. While it is possible for energy to be converted into particles and vice versa, the total charge must always be conserved. This is due to the fact that particles and anti-particles are always created in pairs, ensuring that the overall charge remains the same. Any violation of this conservation law would indicate a violation of fundamental symmetries in physics.
member 529879
I don't know much about the topic but if I'm correct charge should always be conserved. What happens when two protons collide in the LHC? Don't they split into quarks and then decay, lowering the amount of positive charge in the system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is always conserved. Matter and energy are inter-convertible, so it is not necessary for charge (a characteristic of matter/anti-matter) to be conserved.

Likes member 529879
PWiz said:
so it is not necessary for charge (a characteristic of matter/anti-matter) to be conserved.

This is simply wrong. Charge is most definitely conserved. If protons collide, this will result in new particles, but the sum of all of the charges of the outgoing particles must add up to the same total charge as the incoming charge.

Likes dukwon and member 529879
Repeated wrong explanation
The OP was talking about two individual protons colliding in the large hadron collider. When they collide, it is possible that they are converted into energy. The energy is eventually converted back into particles where the total charge will be conserved, and that happens when conditions are feasible. Energy however, is conserved at any stage.

PWiz said:
When they collide, it is possible that they are converted into energy. The energy is eventually converted back into particles where the total charge will be conserved, and that happens when conditions are feasible.

I'm sorry, but you're just talking nonsense here.

PWiz said:
Energy however, is conserved at any stage.

So is charge. If you think otherwise, please give a specific example of a process in which you think charge is not conserved at some stage.

PWiz said:
The OP was talking about two individual protons colliding in the large hadron collider. When they collide, it is possible that they are converted into energy. The energy is eventually converted back into particles where the total charge will be conserved, and that happens when conditions are feasible. Energy however, is conserved at any stage.

I am sorry, but this sounds like you have been given an extremely popularised version of what goes on at the LHC and opened it up for your personal interpretation. This is not an accurate description of events and you would do well to realize that. Physics Forums is a great place to learn about and discuss physics, in part because we do have experts here as well as laymen. However, this requires that we all ask questions when we are wondering about things and do not throw out overly popularised theories when the understanding of the underlying physics is not there.

Likes PWiz, vanhees71, PeterDonis and 2 others
Scheuerf said:
I don't know much about the topic but if I'm correct charge should always be conserved. What happens when two protons collide in the LHC? Don't they split into quarks and then decay, lowering the amount of positive charge in the system?

Why would they? If for example you have :
[itex] p + p \rightarrow p + p + p + \bar{p} [/itex]
Do you see a violation of charges? In this case the valance quarks [itex]uud + uud[/itex] will give as a product more quarks [itex]uud+ uud + uud+ \bar{u} \bar{u} \bar{d}[/itex]. And the same goes on for all the processes.
In fact the products can be a lot many particles, especially by hadronization, which result in jets of hadrons (pions and protons/neutrons are measured) coming out of the collision.

PWiz said:

I don't really like the phrase "converted into energy". This doesn't make a real physical sense, except for if someone abuses the meaning of the formula [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] in the same way Einstein used to do [he enjoyed that formula more than [itex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4 [/itex] ]. For me, especially for the many body systems the first formula doesn't make a real physical sense, what is the "mass" in that case? Especially when you go on saying that energy is converted back... how do you define energy in your case? In any case the particles colliding don't have to pass from one stage to the other via some energy conversion, they just create new particles [through some of their energy] that fly around, undergo decays or are detected.
Every kind of symmetry has to hold at any stage if it is to be a symmetry. If for some reason we find that the symmetry is not there, then we must have something that violates the symmetry (for example the violation of parity and time reversal by the weak interactions).

Likes vanhees71
I apologize for mixing up concepts here.

My confusion stemmed from the fact that I'd once watched a documentary on Discovery channel in which it was stated that quantum fluctuations result in the spontaneous formation and disappearance of particles(i.e. virtual particles) in high energy environments, and hence I took this to be a case which was a violation of the conservation of charge. On checking back on it now on the Internet, I read the crucial part which I'd missed - that a particle is always spontaneously formed along with its anti-particle(pair production) , so no actual violation of the law occurs. Thank you for correcting my half knowledge along the way.

1. What is conservation of charge?

The conservation of charge is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant. This means that charge can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred from one object to another.

2. How does the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) relate to conservation of charge?

The LHC is a powerful particle accelerator that allows scientists to study the behavior of particles at very high energies. It plays a crucial role in our understanding of the conservation of charge by allowing us to observe the interactions between particles and how their charges are conserved.

3. Can the LHC violate the conservation of charge?

No, the LHC cannot violate the conservation of charge. The laws of physics, including the conservation of charge, are always followed within the LHC. Any experiments conducted within the LHC must adhere to these fundamental laws.

4. How does conservation of charge impact our daily lives?

The conservation of charge is essential for the functioning of many electronic devices that we use in our daily lives, such as cell phones, computers, and televisions. It also plays a crucial role in the generation and transmission of electricity.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of charge?

No, there are no known exceptions to the conservation of charge. It has been extensively tested and has always been found to hold true. However, in some cases, it may appear that charge is not conserved, but this is due to the transfer of charge from one object to another, rather than its destruction.