1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy and Springs. Block dropped onto a spring

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b
    A 2.7 kg block is dropped from rest from a height of 4.5 m above the top of the spring. When the block is momentarily at rest, the spring is compressed by 25.0 cm. What is the speed of the block when the compression of the spring is 15.0 cm?

2. Relevant equations
    PE=mgh
    KE=.5mv^2
    U(s)=.5kx^2
    3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so what I did at first was use PE= U(s) to find the spring constant, which i got to be 4026 N/m (I don't know if this is right, correct me if I'm wrong), after I found that, i used mgh + .5mv^2 = .5kx^2, where h was .1m, and x was .15 since it was compressed .15m. but its wrong. please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2
    1) If the v = 7.52 m/s, I would ask how you found k? I* punched few numbers and had different k (~3000)
    2)Why you are taking h to be 0.1 m? in mgh + .5mv^2 = .5kx^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook