Conservation of Energy - Friction - Inclined Slope

In summary, the car starts from rest at the top of the driveway, but because of the friction, it only travels a short distance before coming to a stop.
dandy9

Homework Statement

A 2.10 multiplied by 103 kg car starts from rest at the top of a 4.7 m long driveway that is sloped at 20° with the horizontal. If an average friction force of 4.0 multiplied by 103 N impedes the motion, find the speed of the car at the bottom of the driveway.

Homework Equations

Ei = Ef
W = Fcosxd

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this problem. I've done it four times already and can't seem to get the right answer.

My best attempt at solving it was as follows:
W(of friction force) = F(of friction) cosx d
Solving for W(of friction force) I got -363570833.8 --> a ridiculously big number that doesn't seem in the least bit to be correct.

Then I used initial Energy = final Energy + W(of friction force) and found the final velocity to be 588m/s. Which, again, is way too fast. My initial energy was potential and my final energy was kinetic.

If you could please help me out within the hour I would really appreciate it. I don't see where I'm going wrong.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
dandy9 said:
My best attempt at solving it was as follows:
W(of friction force) = F(of friction) cosx d
Solving for W(of friction force) I got -363570833.8 --> a ridiculously big number that doesn't seem in the least bit to be correct.
How did you get this answer? What numbers did you plug in?

My equation was:
N = normal force
u = coefficient of kinetic friction

W = uNcosxd
W = (4E3)(2.1E3)(9.8)(cos20)*(cos180)(4.7)

dandy9 said:
My equation was:
N = normal force
u = coefficient of kinetic friction

W = uNcosxd
W = (4E3)(2.1E3)(9.8)(cos20)*(cos180)(4.7)
The friction force is given as 4.0E3 and the distance is 4.7--that's all you need. (You don't have to calculate friction based on normal force.)

Hmm... Thanks.
But am I wrong in thinking that friction = uN
and because this is on an inclined slope you can't take the regular m*g, you have to take into account the angle - which is where I got my mg(cos20)...
Let me see how it goes.

dandy9 said:
But am I wrong in thinking that friction = uN
No, that's still true. But irrelevant here, since they give you the friction. (You aren't given any coefficient of friction.)
and because this is on an inclined slope you can't take the regular m*g, you have to take into account the angle - which is where I got my mg(cos20)...
That's all true, but in this problem you don't need that--they tell you the friction!

Yes! Thank you so much.
I really appreciate your time and your dedication to help students.

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces. Friction can be helpful in some situations, such as providing grip for walking, but it can also be a hindrance in other situations, such as slowing down moving objects.

3. How does friction affect energy conservation on an inclined slope?

On an inclined slope, friction acts to oppose the motion of an object as it moves down the slope. This means that some of the potential energy of the object is converted into kinetic energy, but this kinetic energy is reduced due to the work done by friction. Therefore, friction reduces the amount of energy that can be conserved in a system on an inclined slope.

4. How can friction be reduced on an inclined slope?

Friction can be reduced on an inclined slope by using smoother surfaces or by applying a lubricant between the two surfaces in contact. Additionally, reducing the angle of the slope can also decrease the amount of friction acting on an object.

5. How is energy conserved in a system on an inclined slope?

To conserve energy in a system on an inclined slope, the potential energy of the object at the top of the slope must equal the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy at the bottom of the slope. This means that the work done by the force of gravity must be equal to the work done by the frictional force acting on the object.