Conservation of Energy max height

In summary, we are given the mass, initial velocity, and angle of an arrow being fired. Using the equations Ek=1/2mv^2 and Ep=mgh, we can find the arrow's maximum height and kinetic energy at that height. To solve for these, we can break the velocity into x and y components and consider the forces acting on the arrow.
soul5

Homework Statement

An arrow(mass=0.2kg) is fired at a 45 degree angle with an inital velocity of 15 m/s. Find it's max height and kinetic energy when it is at it's max height.

Homework Equations

Ek=1/2mv^2
Ep=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried breaking it down to x and y components, but I don't know if that's right.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the kinetic and potential energy of the arrow as it is first fired? What is the velocity of the arrow at the maximum height?

Max height has to do with potential energy. Kinetic energy at max height is a conceptual question and idea.

Tedjn said:
What is the kinetic and potential energy of the arrow as it is first fired? What is the velocity of the arrow at the maximum height?

that's all the info they gave me.

No, what I mean is that you can figure out those two things I asked you from the information you are given. Think about what forces act on the arrow. Does the horizontal velocity ever change?

Break the velocity into components.

1. What is the conservation of energy principle?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to max height?

In terms of max height, the conservation of energy principle can be applied to objects that are thrown or launched into the air. As the object gains potential energy at the highest point of its trajectory, it loses an equal amount of kinetic energy. This allows the object to reach its maximum height before falling back to the ground.

3. What factors affect the max height of an object?

The max height of an object is affected by several factors such as the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. These factors all play a role in determining the potential and kinetic energy of the object, which ultimately determines its max height.

4. Does the conservation of energy principle hold true in all situations?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle is a fundamental law of physics and holds true in all situations. It has been extensively tested and proven in countless experiments and observations.

5. How can the conservation of energy be applied to real-world scenarios?

The conservation of energy principle is applicable to many real-world scenarios, such as energy production and consumption, transportation, and everyday activities. By understanding and applying this principle, we can make more informed and sustainable choices in our use of energy.