1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy, Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.200-m uniform bar has a mass of 0.790 kg and is released from rest in the vertical position, as the drawing indicates. The spring is initially unstrained and has a spring constant of k = 20.0 N/m. Find the tangential speed with which end A strikes the horizontal surface.
    10_60.gif

2. Relevant equations
    Eup=mgh=Edown=.5Iw2+.5ky2

[tex]\sqrt{3(mgL-ky^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\sqrt{.1^{2}+.2^{2}}-.1=.124[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{3(.79 kg)(9.8 m/s/s)(.2 m)-(20 N/m)(.124 m)^{2}}{.790}}=2.343 m/s[/tex]

I think that I went about this the right way and simply made an arithmetic error or plugged in something incorrect. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I must have this assignment completed by midnight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

Any suggestions?

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just saw this, looks like it's too late.

In the energy equation, you omitted the kinetic energy of the bar's center-of-mass, (1/2)mv2. (v is the velocity of the center of the bar.)

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

Thank you, I appreciate the help anyway so that I can do the problems in the future. I was able to turn in that problem later for partial credit - a friend helped me.

:]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook