Conservation of energy using a spring

In summary, the conversation discussed the physics behind a metal block being pushed against a spring and released on a level table. The problem involved finding the distance the block slid along the table before falling off the edge, given its initial speed and other variables. The solution involved using conservation of energy and taking into account the force of kinetic friction and gravity. After correcting for a mistake, the correct distance was calculated.
rwinge

Homework Statement

A 785-gram metal block is placed on a level table that is 1.6 m high. It is connected to a horizontal spring whose force constant is 3000 N/m. The block is pushed against the spring, compressing it by 0.100 m, and released. It slides along the table and goes off of the edge.

Coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.200 (Uk)

If the speed of the block just before it strikes the ground is 7.3 m/s, what distance did the block slide along the table?

Homework Equations

Work = delta K + delta U
U spring= (1/2)Kx^2
K block = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I can come up with so far is that the potential energy of the spring (U) is equal to the kinetic energy done on the block (K). So in that case I set the two equations equal to each other

(1/2)Kx^2 = (Uk)mg(delta X) and so

15 J = 1.54(delta X)

so delta X = 9.74 m.

This doesn't seem very plausable to me with such a high spring coefficient and neglecting to use the height of the table and final velocity.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start backwards. Use conservation of energy between the instant it leaves the table to the instant it hits the ground to solve for its speed as it left the table. Then use your work energy equation between the start point and the point it left the table.

You're assuming that the block goes only on the table. You need to take into account its total energy when compressed and its total energy when hitting the ground.

Last edited:
Okay so I think I am heading in the right direction now.

IVe got

Work = (delta K) + ( delta Uspring) + (delta Ugravity)

delta K = (1/2)Mvf^2 - (1/2)Mvi^2 = 20.92 J
delta Uspring = (1/2)Kxf^2 - (1/2)Kxi^2 = -15 J
delta Ugravity = (1/2)mghf - (1/2)kxf^2 = -12.31 J

adding theses gives me W = -6.39

I can also say that Wother = (coefficient of kinetic friction)(force of kinetic friction)(delta X)

in this case how am I coming up with the force of kinetic friction? because isn't that (coefficient of kinetic friction)*(normal force)? This just seems redundant to me.

any ideas?

Nevermind! haha I ended up getting it. I was just thinking about the force of friction wrong. Somehow I neglected to include gravity in my first calculation which gave an extremely long distance. thanks for the input guys!

1. What is the conservation of energy using a spring?

The conservation of energy using a spring refers to the principle that the total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) of a spring remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on it.

2. How does a spring store and release energy?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. This energy is released when the spring returns to its original shape.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a spring?

The conservation of energy in a spring is affected by the spring constant, which determines how much force is required to compress or stretch the spring, and the amplitude of the displacement.

4. How is the conservation of energy demonstrated with a spring?

A common demonstration of conservation of energy using a spring is the classic pendulum experiment, where the potential energy of a suspended weight is converted into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth.

5. Why is conservation of energy important in relation to springs?

Understanding the conservation of energy in springs is important in various fields such as engineering and physics. It allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of springs in different situations, and is essential in designing efficient and safe spring-based systems.