Conservation of energy water turbine problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
TheRedDevil18
Messages
406
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



a3jsbs.jpg


Homework Equations



mgh=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution



7.1) 200*1000=200000kg

7.2) Must I use mgh? They asked for kinetic energy but energy is conserved so:
200000*9.8*150
= 2.9*10^8 J

7.3) Ep=Ek
2.9*10^8=1/2*200000*v^2
v=53.8 m.s

7.4) 85% of 2.9*10^8
= 2.5*10^8 J

7.5) It gets converted into heat and sound when it hits the turbine.

All good?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The electrical power output is energy per time, it has Watts as unit.
The numbers look fine, but you should keep their units in the calculations. In addition, it would be easier to understand your solutions if you start with the formulas first, and plug in numbers afterwards.
 
p=w/t, how to find time?, must I use equations of motion?
 
TheRedDevil18 said:
p=w/t, how to find time?, must I use equations of motion?
Nope. You already know that the time is 1sec.