Conservation of Energy with a spring

In summary, to solve the problem of a spring attached to two blocks with a given mass, spring constant, and initial separation, and then pushed together to a new separation and asked about the final speed and maximum separation, conservation of energy and conservation of momentum must both be applied. The final velocities of the blocks can be solved using the equation m1*v1 = m2*v2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks and v1 and v2 are their respective velocities. The maximum separation between the blocks can be found by setting the stretch equal to the initial compression, and solving for the total separation.
navydrgn

Homework Statement

A spring is attached to two blocks. The smaller block is 4.0 kg and the larger block is 8.0 kg. Initially the spring is in equilibrium and the blocks are separated by a d = 25 cm. The spring constant k = 400 N/m. No friction is present.

I now push on the two blocks compressing the spring. The separation between the two blocks is now 15 cm.

a) What is the speed of each block when they get back to being separated by 20 cm?
b) What will the maximum separation between the blocks be?

Homework Equations

Spring PE = .5*k*x^2
Kinetic Energy = .5*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for a, I managed to solve for the potential energy of the system, with the spring compressed .1 meters.

PE = .5kx^2 -> .5 * 400 * (.1)^2 = 2 J.

Then I split that in half, and applied conservation of energy to solve for the kinetic energy at equilibrium for each block.

So for smaller block -> KE = .5*m*v^2 = 1, 1 = .5*4*v^2, 1/2 = v^2, v = .707 m/s or so.
Larger block 1 = .5 * 8*v^2, v = .5 m/sAnd part b, I assume the total stretch will be equal to the total compression, so stretch = 10 cm, thus the max separation should be 35 cm.

Are my answers correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
navydrgn said:

Homework Statement

A spring is attached to two blocks. The smaller block is 4.0 kg and the larger block is 8.0 kg. Initially the spring is in equilibrium and the blocks are separated by a d = 25 cm. The spring constant k = 400 N/m. No friction is present.

I now push on the two blocks compressing the spring. The separation between the two blocks is now 15 cm.

a) What is the speed of each block when they get back to being separated by 20 cm?
b) What will the maximum separation between the blocks be?

Homework Equations

Spring PE = .5*k*x^2
Kinetic Energy = .5*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for a, I managed to solve for the potential energy of the system, with the spring compressed .1 meters.

PE = .5kx^2 -> .5 * 400 * (.1)^2 = 2 J.

Then I split that in half, and applied conservation of energy to solve for the kinetic energy at equilibrium for each block.

So for smaller block -> KE = .5*m*v^2 = 1, 1 = .5*4*v^2, 1/2 = v^2, v = .707 m/s or so.
Larger block 1 = .5 * 8*v^2, v = .5 m/s

And part b, I assume the total stretch will be equal to the total compression, so stretch = 10 cm, thus the max separation should be 35 cm.

Are my answers correct?

Hi navydrgn, welcome to PF.

Can you confirm for part (a) that the required separation is 20 cm, and not the original 25 cm?

Note that the kinetic energy won't split evenly between the blocks unless both blocks are of the same mass. What applies here is conservation of momentum -- the momentum of both blocks must be equal (and opposite in sign) in order for conservation to hold, which it must.
This will also cause the center of mass of the system to remain stationary, which must be true since no external forces are operating on it.

Yes, thank you, it should be 25 cm. That was a typo.

gneill said:
What applies here is conservation of momentum -- the momentum of both blocks must be equal (and opposite in sign) in order for conservation to hold, which it must.

So in order to solve the system, I'd have to determine a Pi (initial momentum) and a final momentum (Pf) using P = mv, where m is mass and is v is velocity? And the solve for the final velocity of both blocks?

Why can't this problem be solved with conservation of energy?

Thanks for the swift response, by the way.

navydrgn said:
Yes, thank you, it should be 25 cm. That was a typo.

So in order to solve the system, I'd have to determine a Pi (initial momentum) and a final momentum (Pf) using P = mv, where m is mass and is v is velocity? And the solve for the final velocity of both blocks?

Why can't this problem be solved with conservation of energy?

Thanks for the swift response, by the way.

You need both conservation of energy and conservation of momentum for this problem. Otherwise how can you decide how to apportion the kinetic energy between the blocks?

For the conservation of momentum part it is sufficient to know that to begin with the momentum is zero, and so it must remain zero. It means that at any given time the momentum must sum to zero, so that the momenta of the two blocks are equal and opposite in sign. In other words, m1*v1 = m2*v2.

gneill said:
You need both conservation of energy and conservation of momentum for this problem. Otherwise how can you decide how to apportion the kinetic energy between the blocks?

For the conservation of momentum part it is sufficient to know that to begin with the momentum is zero, and so it must remain zero. It means that at any given time the momentum must sum to zero, so that the momenta of the two blocks are equal and opposite in sign. In other words, m1*v1 = m2*v2.

Okay, I oversimplified the problem, then, by assuming I could apportion the kinetic energy just based on ratios of masses. In a way that's what I was doing, (after your initial advice) but I didn't have a name for it.

Thus (using your notation, where m1 = 4.0 kg, and m2 = 8.0 kg), we have:

m1*v1 = m2*v2, 4v1 = 8v2, v1 = 2v2, and then plugging that into the kinetic energy equation (modified to include both blocks) we have

.5*m1*v1^2 + .5*m2*v2^2 = 2 J
2(2v2)^2 + 4*v2^2 = 2 J
12v2^2 = 2J
v2 = .408 m/s

And then:
v1 = 2v2 = .816 m/s

Assuming I understood you correctly, these would be the correct values.

Thank you

1. How does a spring store and release energy?

A spring stores potential energy when it is compressed or stretched. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a spring?

The amount of energy stored in a spring is affected by its stiffness, or spring constant, and the distance it is stretched or compressed. A stiffer spring or a larger displacement will result in more energy stored.

3. Can the energy stored in a spring be lost?

In an ideal system, the energy stored in a spring will not be lost. However, in reality, some energy may be lost due to friction and other factors.

4. How does the conservation of energy principle apply to a spring?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of a spring, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, and the total energy remains constant.

5. Can the energy stored in a spring be changed into other forms of energy?

Yes, the energy stored in a spring can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat, sound, or electrical energy. This conversion is possible through different mechanisms, such as friction or using the spring in a mechanical system to do work.