Conservation of linear momentum when friction is present

In summary, The conversation is discussing the concept of conservation of momentum in collisions with external frictional forces. It is mentioned that in such situations, the work energy theorem is used instead of the conservation of momentum. However, the friction force is considered non-impulsive and therefore does not significantly affect the change in momentum during the collision. The conversation also touches on the idea of ignoring the momentum of the Earth in these calculations, but it is noted that this does not violate mathematical laws and is simply a small amount that is not measurable.
zorro
See the figure-

attachment.php?attachmentid=32890&stc=1&d=1299618716.jpg

The block A collides inelastically with the block B. I have seen in 2 of my books that they apply conservation of momentum in such problems along x-direction. According to me, since there is an external frictional force acting, the linear momentum is not conserved.

Is it that they consider Earth + A + B to be the system and ignore the velocity of the Earth ?
Please throw some light on this.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 3,172
Physics news on Phys.org
The friction does transfer some of the momentum to the table (or whatever). Simpler experiment - put a book on the table and give it a push (impart momentum) and it will soon stop (momentum transferred to table).

Hi Abdul! :smile:
Abdul Quadeer said:
The block A collides inelastically with the block B. I have seen in 2 of my books that they apply conservation of momentum in such problems along x-direction. According to me, since there is an external frictional force acting, the linear momentum is not conserved.

As you know, momentum is not conserved after the collision, and we have to use the work energy theorem instead.

But during the collision, the friction force is non-impulsive, ie it acts for such a short time that its effect can be ignored …

it has no effect on the sudden change in momentum …

so momentum is conserved. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
But during the collision, the friction force is non-impulsive, ie it acts for such a short time that its effect can be ignored …

So ideally the momentum is not conserved?

Abdul Quadeer said:
So ideally the momentum is not conserved?

Yes, but well below the threshold of accuracy with which you could measure the velocities. :wink:

Is this approximation same as the situation when we ignore the momentum of the Earth by considering A+B+Earth as our system?

I don't think so (I don't really see the analogy :redface:).

But that would violate mathematical laws. You must get the same equation by two different methods. Otherwise either one of them is wrong.

Momentum is conserved. You change the momentum of the Earth itself. But that amount is so small compared to Earth's total momentum that you could never measure it. So for all practical purposes the momentum is treated as "lost". Think of it this way. If you pour a glass of water into the ocean you increase its volume. But if you go to any station that measures sea level you will never ever observe a change in sea level because of your action. It is the same with the momentum of a sliding object on the Earth. The momentum is still there, you just can't measure it.

1. What is the conservation of linear momentum?

The conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it. In other words, the total amount of momentum before an interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the interaction.

2. How does friction affect the conservation of linear momentum?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects in contact. When friction is present, it acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing a decrease in its velocity. This decrease in velocity results in a decrease in momentum, which means that the total momentum of a system with friction is not conserved.

3. Can linear momentum be conserved when friction is present?

Yes, linear momentum can still be conserved even when friction is present. However, this is only possible if the frictional force is internal to the system and does not affect the total momentum of the system.

4. How can the conservation of linear momentum be applied to real-life situations?

The conservation of linear momentum has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it explains why a car moves forward when we push it from behind, why a skateboarder moves in the opposite direction when they jump off their board, and how rockets are able to launch into space.

5. Why is the conservation of linear momentum important in understanding the behavior of objects?

The conservation of linear momentum is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of motion and how objects interact with each other. It also allows us to predict the outcome of different physical interactions and analyze the motion of objects in complex systems.