1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is linear momentum not conserved or realistic here?

1. Oct 12, 2017 #1
    - This is the situation provided where it has to be demonstrated that linear momentum is not conserved or unrealistic. My assumptions are: there's no friction due to how Godzilla is moving, the sand is acting as a lubricant. Velocity is constant. This is an elastic collision. I also guess that we have to calculate the force that Godzilla applies on the two masses combined (Megalon and Jet Jaguar) in order to prove that the force required for Godzilla to push both Megalon and Jet Jaguar is unrealistic.

My problem is, I don't really know how to calculate the force that Godzilla applies on both masses. And if that's not what's need to calculate, then I really don't have an idea of what to calculate to prove linear momentum is not conserved/unrealistic.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If I understand properly, you want to demonstrate that what happens in the video clip is impossible because it implies a violation of conservation of momentum? Is this a homework/ coursework question?

You should be able to make a reasonable estimate of the total momentum before and after the collision from reasonable estimates of the mass of the participants and their before and after speeds.

4. Oct 12, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Science fiction like this rarely cares about conservation of momentum. The authors simply ignore it. In this particular case I don't see an obvious violation of it. The sliding approach looks really unrealistic, however.

5. Oct 12, 2017 #4
    Yes to both questions, this is a homework question. So I only need to calculated momentum before and after?

6. Oct 12, 2017 #5

Nugatory

Because it is a homework question, you'll want to post it in the homework forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/introductory-physics-homework.153/
    Start a new thread there.... and fill out the template properly when you do.

This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook