1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum continous mass flow freight cart.

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having difficulty understanding why in 2.1 Worked Example Coal Car on page 3 One can use the initial time as time = 0, but 2.2 Worked example on page 4 they start the initial time at an arbitrary time t.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
    because in the second example if you start with the initial time =0 then the initial momentum is zero because it is initially at rest and this simplifies the second example to a solutions similar to the first. But that is wrong.

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

your two links point to the same page, and I can't see anything there that matches either description.

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4
    Thank you I put up the wrong link. Here is the correct link:

6. Nov 6, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

In each case they start at t=0. In 2.2 they also consider some arbitrary later time t and an interval δt from there. That is normal when deriving differential equations. In 2.1 they did not need to do that; they could solve the problem just by considering t=0 and t=tf and applying conservation of momentum. Whether such an approach was available in 2.2 I've not tried to analyse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?