Conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions

In summary, conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. A perfect elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. The formula for conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions is m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m represents mass and v represents velocity. Some real-life examples of perfect elastic collisions include a game of pool, billiard balls colliding on a table, and a bouncing ball. This concept is different from inelastic collisions, where the total momentum may not be conserved due to the loss of kinetic energy.
anachin6000
I learned that momentum conservation is vectorial, and now, when i read about perfect elastic collisions, I can't understand why they use a scalar conservation. I tryed to use vectorial coervation to see the diference and it's true: it's needed a scalar conservation. But why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector and is always conserved, whether the collision is elastic, inelastic, somewhere in-between.
Energy is a scalar and is conserved only in an elastic collision.

1. What is conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions?

Conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the sum of the momenta of all objects involved in the collision is the same before and after the collision.

2. What is a perfect elastic collision?

A perfect elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not lose any energy to other forms, such as heat or sound, and they rebound off of each other without any deformation.

3. What is the formula for conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions?

The formula for conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions is: m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m represents mass and v represents velocity.

4. What are some real-life examples of perfect elastic collisions?

Some examples of perfect elastic collisions include a game of pool, billiard balls colliding on a table, and a bouncing ball. In these scenarios, the objects involved do not stick together or deform upon collision, and the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant.

5. How is conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions different from inelastic collisions?

Conservation of momentum in perfect elastic collisions states that the total momentum of a system is conserved, while in inelastic collisions, the total momentum may not be conserved due to the loss of kinetic energy. Inelastic collisions typically involve objects sticking together or deforming upon collision, resulting in a loss of energy to other forms.