1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum in Two Dimensions involving a barge collision

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    A barge with mass 1.50 X 10^5 kg is proceeding downriver at 6.2 m/s in heavy fog when it collides with a barge heading directly across the river (see the poorly drawn image, in link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/ravenatic20/untitled4.jpg...
    The second barge has mass 2.78 X 10^5 kg and before the collision is moving at 4.3 m/s. Immediately after impact, the second barge finds its course deflected by 18 degrees in the downriver direction, and its speed increased to 5.1 m/s.

The river current is approximately zero at the time of the accident. What are the speed and direction of motion of the first barge immediately after the collision? What formulas did you use to solve this, and how did you solve it? In other words, explain how you came to your answer.

Any help would be great!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, this is a physics problem, not a math problem so I'm moving it. Second, I see no indication at all of what you have done or tried on this problem yourself.
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    No, I haven't. That's why I'm here. What do I do?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?