Conservation of momentum of astronaut in her space suit

In summary, an astronaut in her space suit with a total mass of 91.3 kg (including suit and oxygen tank) throws her 12.0 kg oxygen tank with a speed of 8.50 m/s to propel herself back to her spacecraft. Using the equation m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, the maximum distance she can be from the craft and still return within 1.60 min is 123.5 m. This strategy works due to Newton's Third Law, as the astronaut applies a force onto the tank, causing it to apply an equal and opposite force onto her, propelling her towards the spacecraft. The astronaut is in
mandy9008

Homework Statement

An astronaut in her space suit has a total mass of m1 = 91.3 kg, including suit and oxygen tank. Her tether line loses its attachment to her spacecraft while she's on a spacewalk. Initially at rest with respect to her spacecraft , she throws her oxygen tank of mass m2 = 12.0-kg away from her spacecraft with a speed v = 8.50 m/s to propel herself back toward it (see figure).
p6-25.gif

(a) Determine the maximum distance she can be from the craft and still return within 1.60 min (the amount of time the air in her helmet remains breathable).
(b) Explain in terms of Newton's laws of motion why this strategy works.

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (91.3 kg)(0 m/s) + (12.0 kg)(0 m/s) = (91.3 kg)v1f + (12.0 kg)(8.50 m/s)
v1f=1.112 m/s
b. When the astronaut throws her oxygen tank, she applies a force onto it. At the same time, the oxygen tank is applying a force onto her, which pushes the astronaut towards the space ship. This is an example of Newton's Third Law.

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculate the speed correctly in part (a), but that's not what the problem is asking for. You need to find a maximum distance.

Part (b) is OK.

okay, so I need to solve for change in x, right?
x=vt + 1/2 gt^2
x= (1.118 m/s)(96 s) + 1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(96s)^2
x=45265.7 m

that does not seem right at all

mandy9008 said:
x=vt + 1/2 gt^2
x=45265.7 m

I think you need to consider projectile motion concept.

mandy9008 said:
x=vt + 1/2 gt^2
x=45265.7 m

The astronaut is in free space, not on the surface of Earth! Is there any force acting on she after she has thrown the oxygen tank away? This is not a projectile motion.

ehild

okay so, do i need to find her acceleration and use that in place of g?

mandy9008 said:
okay so, do i need to find her acceleration and use that in place of g?

You know that acceleration is force over mass. What can exert force on the astronaut in free space?

ehild

I don't know. I know that it is not gravitational, since you said that I can't use 9.8 m/s^2

Is gravitational acceleration 9.8 m/s^2 everywhere in the world? On the surface of the Moon for example? Have you seen films about astronauts walking on the Moon?

There is gravitational interaction between any objects with mass. Do you know the formula?

ehild

mandy9008 said:
x=vt + 1/2 gt^2
x=45265.7 m

Repeat the calculation using the same equation with zero acceleration and you are done. Although there is gravitational attraction between the spacecraft and the astronaut, it should be considered negligible. Besides, the mass of the spacecraft is not given so you cannot calculate it.

x= (1.118 m/s)(96 s) + 1/2 (0 m/s^2)(96 s)^2
x=107.328m
this is not correct.

mandy9008 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (91.3 kg)(0 m/s) + (12.0 kg)(0 m/s) = (91.3 kg)v1f + (12.0 kg)(8.50 m/s)
v1f=1.112 m/s
You made an error here. 91.3 kg is her total mass including suit and oxygen tank. If her oxygen tank is 12 kg, what's the mass of her and her suit?

Redo this to get the correct speed after she throws the tank.

okay that makes sense. x=123.5 m Thank You

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on it.

2. Why is conservation of momentum important for astronauts in space?

In space, there is no air resistance or friction to slow down objects, so conservation of momentum is crucial for controlling the movement of astronauts and their equipment.

3. How does an astronaut's space suit affect conservation of momentum?

An astronaut's space suit is designed to be as low-mass as possible, which means it has a very low moment of inertia. This allows the astronaut to easily change direction and conserve momentum while performing tasks in space.

4. What happens if an astronaut's space suit is damaged in space?

If an astronaut's space suit is damaged in space, it can affect their ability to control their movements and conserve momentum. This is why astronauts undergo extensive training and have backup suits during spacewalks.

5. How does conservation of momentum play a role in space missions?

Conservation of momentum is crucial for the success of space missions, as it allows astronauts and spacecrafts to maneuver and dock with precision. It is also important in the design and operation of spacecrafts, ensuring they conserve fuel and maintain stable orbits.