Conservation of Momentum Question

NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

We are learning momentum in physics class and I am having problems with this question.

25umqlf.png

i) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by F and A. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

ii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and C. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

iii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by D and E. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

iv) An object moving with momentum E explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by V and D. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

v) An object moving with momentum G explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and D. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

Homework Equations

p=m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

i) C

ii) G

iii) A

iv) Hard one, R., I believe

v) C, I believe

/thank you/
noobe

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
i) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by F and A. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?
We need this and the other 3 parts to each be accompanied by a scaled diagram so we can check whether you are doing it correctly.

I agree with C here.

ii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and C. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?
I don't agree with your answer.

Diagrams please.

NoobeAtPhysics
Hmm, do I have to measure each angle then use the formula?

Is there a way to look at it visually?

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Graphically. You trace the lines, so you get length and angle correctly, and add vectors graphically on paper.

Suggested for: Conservation of Momentum Question

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies