1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum Question

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are learning momentum in physics class and I am having problems with this question.

25umqlf.png

i) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by F and A. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

ii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and C. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

iii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by D and E. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

iv) An object moving with momentum E explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by V and D. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

v) An object moving with momentum G explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and D. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

2. Relevant equations

p=m*v

3. The attempt at a solution

i) C

ii) G

iii) A

iv) Hard one, R., I believe

v) C, I believe

/thank you/
    noobe

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

We need this and the other 3 parts to each be accompanied by a scaled diagram so we can check whether you are doing it correctly.

I agree with C here.

I don't agree with your answer.

Diagrams please.

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    Hmm, do I have to measure each angle then use the formula?

Is there a way to look at it visually?

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Graphically. You trace the lines, so you get length and angle correctly, and add vectors graphically on paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted