Conserved Energy in a moving frame of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of mechanical energy in the context of an incline with a box and a person in an inertial frame of reference. The person's movement causes changes in potential and kinetic energy of the box, and the goal is to prove that the equation mgh = 1/2mv^2 still holds true in this scenario. The attempt at a solution involves using the conservation of mechanical energy equation, but there are several errors in the reasoning and the energy equation itself. The correct approach is to first look at a simpler case of a block being dropped from rest while the observer is moving horizontally, and then extend it to the case of the block on an incline.
Tinhorn said:
I get it.
but i had always thought the x and y components of the force A is
Ax= A*cosθ
Ay= A*sinθ
Right, when θ is given with respect to the horizontal. (It's reversed when θ is with respect to the vertical.)

why does normal force have sin in its component
and cos in its component
Using your notation, A is the normal force, thus A = mgcosθ. When you find its components, you'll get the additional sine and cosine factors.

Physics news on Phys.org
One last question

if ΔKE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{y}[/itex]

why is ΔKE also -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{y}[/itex]

should'nt it be -ΔKE

Tinhorn said:
One last question

if ΔKE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{y}[/itex]
That's an expression for KE, not ΔKE, right?
why is ΔKE also -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]mv^{2}_{y}[/itex]

should'nt it be -ΔKE
I don't know what you are asking.

got it
wasnt clear about the question but i got it