1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conserved quantities in the Korteweg-de Vries equation

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the Kortweg-de Vires Equation in the form

$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial^3 \psi}{\partial x^3}+6\psi\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}=0$$

Find the relation between the coefficients ##c## and ##d## , such that the following quantity is conserved:

$$c\; \int_{-\infty}^\infty\left(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\right)^2 \mathrm{d}x+d\;\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi ^3 \mathrm{d}x$$

2. Relevant equations
    A local conservation law is of the form ##D_t+F_x=0##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Usually, I would try to create a local conservation law, s.t. the quantity in question is conserved. But I really don't know how to do this in the given case. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2
    Hey, I've attempted to do the following:

Since the quantity in question needs to be conserved, it follows that

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \; \int_{-\infty}^\infty c\left(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\right)^2 \mathrm{d}x+d\;\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi ^3 \mathrm{d}x \right) =0$$.

Thus, I have computed the temporal derivation, which yields

$$-c\int_{-\infty}^\infty \mathrm{d}x \left( 2c\frac{\partial^4 \psi}{\partial x^4}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}+12c\left(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)^2+12c \psi\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}+3d\psi^2\frac{\partial^3\psi}{\partial x^3}+18\psi ^3 \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} \right)=0 $$

if I define ##d:=-c##.

If I can show that the integrand is a perfect derivative, I am finished. However, I can't seem to show that this is the case. Can anyone help me?

4. Mar 6, 2017 #3
    I don't think you should have the factor of c outside the integral, but you need a factor of d in the last term of the integrand. (But I'm also one of those that deplore using d as a constant in anything involving calculus.)

It looks as though the integrand should be expressible in terms of an operator polynomial; something like (a + D)(D2 + D)(ψ3), where a is a constant and D is ∂/∂x, but I haven't been able to make it work.

I can only suggest putting in trial functions like ψ = sinx and seeing what happens.
    Good luck.

5. Mar 10, 2017 #4
    Why reinvent the wheel when Google is your friend? The Wikipedia page on the KdV equation has c=-1, d=2. Check it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted