LRC equation using Poynting theorem and conservation laws

In summary, we have an ordinary LRC circuit with inductance L, capacitance C, and resistance R that is receiving an oscillating voltage with low frequency (U^e). Using the energy conservation law and Poynting's theorem, we can derive the differential equation for the circuit. This equation involves the rate of change of current (I) over time, which is defined as the rate of change of charge (q). However, it is unclear how to connect Poynting's theorem to this type of circuit. A possible starting point is to use Kirchoff's 2nd law and differentiate with respect to time, but there may be an extra factor of L in the equation. Poynting's
emeriska

Homework Statement

We have an ordinary LRC circuit with inductance L, capacitance C and resistance R with an oscillating voltage with low frequency (U^e). Using the energy conservation law and Poynting's theorem, find the differential equation:

$$L \frac{\partial ^2}{\partial t^2}I + R \frac{\partial }{\partial t}I + L \frac{1}{C}I = \frac{\partial }{\partial t}U^e$$

Homework Equations

I'll need to take advantage from the fact that I is defined as
$$I = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}q$$.

Knowing q is the charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I've been looking around on the web to find something but I really can't find how to connect the Poynting theorem to that kind of circuit.

If any of you have some insights of a head start to give me that'd be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi emeriska!

Your equation looks a lot like what I would get if I wrote down Kirchoff's 2nd law for the circuit and differentiated with respect to time. Except I think you have an extra factor of [itex]L[/itex] in the 3rd term?

Poynting's theorem would give you a nice 3d snapshot of the energy flow going on in and around the circuit.

1. What is the LRC equation?

The LRC equation is a mathematical representation of the behavior of an electrical circuit that contains an inductor (L), a resistor (R), and a capacitor (C). It is used to calculate the voltage and current in the circuit over time.

2. How is Poynting's theorem used in the LRC equation?

Poynting's theorem is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric and magnetic fields in a system to the energy flow. In the LRC equation, Poynting's theorem is used to calculate the rate at which energy is transferred between the components of the circuit.

3. What conservation laws are involved in the LRC equation?

The LRC equation is derived from two conservation laws: the conservation of energy and the conservation of charge. These laws state that energy and charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

4. What are the assumptions made in the LRC equation?

The LRC equation assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that the voltage and current do not change over time. It also assumes that the components in the circuit are ideal, meaning they have no resistance or loss of energy.

5. How is the LRC equation used in real-world applications?

The LRC equation is used in a wide variety of real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing electrical circuits in electronics, power systems, and telecommunications. It is also used in fields like physics and engineering to model and understand the behavior of complex systems.