1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Acceleration of jogging Problem

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Al and Bert are jogging side by side on a trail in the woods at a speed of 0.75 m/s. Suddenly, Al sees the end of the trail 35 m ahead and decides to speed up to reach it. He accelerates at constant rate of 50 m/(s^2) while Bert continues on at a constant speed. (a) How long does it take Al to reach the end of the hill?

Part (a) is the one I'm having trouble understanding.

2. Relevant equations

Δx = (1/2)at^2 + Vt + X

3. The attempt at a solution

35 = (1/2)(0.50)t^2 + (0.75)t
    35 = (0.25)t^2 + (0.75)t
    35 = t[(0.25)t + 0.75]
    35/t = (0.25)t + 0.75

And, that is where I stopped. I'm sure I pretty much went wrong at the third step.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Your summation is correct.

To solve a quadratic equation, you re-arrange to make the rhs zero, then solve by either factorisation [if you are lucky] or use the quadratic formula.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    Are you sure of the question wording?.....you have an acceleration of 50m/s^2
    Which is not realistic.
    In your calculation you have 0.5 which is more realistic

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4
    Holy crap, I forgot about the quadratic formula. :surprised Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook