Constant-amplitude vs. constant-velocity, in layman's terms

• Thread starter Knowzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the difference between ceramic and magnetic cartridges lies in their method of equalizing the audio signal. Ceramic cartridges are constant-amplitude devices, meaning the signal level is proportional to the amplitude of the stylus' motion. This results in a roughly flat frequency response without the need for RIAA equalization. On the other hand, magnetic cartridges are constant-velocity devices, where the signal is proportional to the velocity of the stylus' motion. This requires the use of inverse RIAA equalization to correct the frequency response. Additionally, the magnetic cartridge's motion matches that of the record cutting head, making it a better choice for reproducing the audio signal.
Knowzy
Greeting Physics Forums,

I run a tiny online magazine and am trying to explain to my readers the difference between ceramic and magnetic cartridges. In particular, I'm trying to explain the how each type equalizes the audio signal in accordance to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_curve" .

I posted a http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=71491" and one helpful member explained ceramic cartridges are "constant-amplitude" devices whereas both magnetic cartridges and the record mastering cutting head are "constant-velocity" devices. Since the amplitude of the RIAA-equalized record is (very roughly) flat, it is not necessary to apply the equalization to the ceramic cartridge signal.

Here's the full response:
Magnetic cartridges are constant-velocity devices: the signal is proportional to the velocity of the stylus. Since high frequencies cause the stylus to "wiggle" faster, you naturally get an increasing velocity (and hence signal level) as frequency rises. The cutting head used to make the master is also a constant-velocity device, so a magnetic cartridge "matches" the characteristics of the cutting head. The RIAA EQ is applied during cutting in order to restrict excessive groove excursion (bass cut) and to overcome surface noise (treble boost). When you play a record that was cut with a constant-velocity cutter using a constant-velocity cartridge, you therefore need to apply inverse EQ to correct the frequency response.

In contrast, ceramic cartridges are constant-amplitude devices. In other words, the signal level is proportional to the amplitude of the side-to-side motion of the stylus. There is no natural tendency for the signal level to increase at higher frequencies (because the amplitude doesn't get bigger), and hence RIAA EQ should not be applied. Of course, the frequency response characteristic you get out of an unequalised ceramic is only approximately OK-ish. But since its intrinsic sound quality is so low that's an academic point.

I get the gist of his explanation but not enough to explain it succinctly to my readers. So, I thought I'd get back to the basics and learn the difference between constant-amplitude vs. constant-velocity here at PF.

I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

- Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The magnetic pickup is based on Faraday's Law of Induction, which produces a voltage proportional the motion of a pickup coil in a magnetic field. There are two types; moving coil and moving magnet. The motion of the coil in a magnetic field, or vice-versa, produces the output voltage. Because the motion is a velocity, and hence equal to the time derivative of position, the output voltage is proportional to frequency times displacement.
The ceramic cartridge is based on the piezoelectric effect, in which the displacement of the pickup produces pressure on a piezoelectric crystal that produces a voltage.
There is a discussion of both magnetic and piezoelectric pickups at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph#Direct_vs_belt_drive

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Bob.

I should have been clearer from the start: What I'm really hoping you'll answer is, "Define constant-amplitude and constant-velocity and compare the two. Optionally, describe how an RIAA equalized audio signal on the record is of seemingly little consequence to a ceramic cartridge’s ability to produce a roughly flatly equalized signal."

Responses on Hydrogen Audio, like the one quoted in the original post, quickly get into science I don't understand.

That's why I'm coming to PF- to fill in the gaps in basic physics- so I can confidently say why a ceramic cartridge approximates RIAA equalization because the amplitude is reasonably constant even though mastering LPs involves attuning the low frequencies and raising the highs.

If my question is too elementary for the EE forum, please point me to an introductory forum.

1. What is the difference between constant-amplitude and constant-velocity?

Constant-amplitude refers to a wave or oscillation that maintains a consistent height or magnitude, while constant-velocity refers to a motion that maintains a consistent speed.

2. How do constant-amplitude and constant-velocity affect sound waves?

Constant-amplitude and constant-velocity can affect the pitch and volume of sound waves. A constant-amplitude wave will have a consistent loudness, while a constant-velocity motion can result in a change in pitch.

3. What is the relationship between constant-amplitude and constant-velocity?

Constant-amplitude and constant-velocity are related in that they both describe a consistent measure in a wave or motion. However, they refer to different aspects of the wave or motion.

4. How does constant-amplitude vs. constant-velocity impact everyday life?

Constant-amplitude and constant-velocity are important concepts in understanding and manipulating sound waves. They are used in various technologies such as speakers, microphones, and musical instruments. They also play a role in understanding and predicting natural phenomena such as earthquakes and ocean waves.

5. Can a wave have both constant-amplitude and constant-velocity?

No, a wave can only have either constant-amplitude or constant-velocity, depending on its type and properties. For example, sound waves typically have a constant-amplitude but varying velocity, while electromagnetic waves have a constant-velocity but varying amplitude.