1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant force acting on a particle

1. Aug 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ?temp_hash=0d547fa742474ebbdd95d96f4958c5b3.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I consider a coordinate system with the -Y axis along the direction of force and X axis along a line perpendicular to it (except the direction of velocity vector) then this problem is equivalent to the usual projectile motion problem where a particle is projected from an elevation horizontally ( i.e velocity perpendicular to gravity ) .

So I can conclude that the path in the problem is parabolic i.e option b) which is indeed the given answer .

Now , when I tried to find the equation of trajectory , I am a bit lost .

In the usual X-Y coordinate system with 'm' representing the mass of the particle , we have ,

## x = 3t + \frac{1}{2}\frac{4}{m}t^2##

## y = 4t - \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{m}t^2##

I am finding it difficult to solve the above equations so as to get the relation between x and y .

Any sincere help is very much appreciated .

Thanks .

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Calculate ##3x+4y## to eliminate the quadratic terms in ##t##. Then solve this for ##t## and substitute for ##t## in either ##x(t)## or ##y(t)##. You should get a parabola tilted at 45 degrees.

4. Aug 22, 2016 #3
    Fantastic ! :smile:

But on expanding I get a term containing ##xy## . I have never really seen an ##xy## term in the usual parabola equations .

5. Aug 22, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The coupled terms like that in conic sections such as parabola is an indication that this curve is rotated at an angle from ##x## or ##y## axis.

6. Aug 22, 2016 #5
    Interesting :cool: .

Thanks a lot .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted