Constant of thermal conductivity and heat flow in a given time

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Bolter
Messages
262
Reaction score
31
Homework Statement
Working out constant of thermal conductivity and heat flow in a given time
Relevant Equations
Q/t = KA(T1 – T2)/L
Here is the Q below

Screenshot 2019-12-21 at 13.43.05.png


I want to see if my values for part b) is okay?

This is what I have tried:

IMG_3529.JPG


IMG_3530.JPG


Any help would be nice! Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks great. I’m confused why they would even ask part b. You worked it out from your part a answer, and perhaps that is what they had in mind. However, you could have answered it trivially. They tell you the flow is 25 J/s. The net flow is just that times 12 minutes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bolter
Cutter Ketch said:
It all looks great. I’m confused why they would even ask part b. You worked it out from your part a answer, and perhaps that is what they had in mind. However, you could have answered it trivially. They tell you the flow is 25 J/s. The net flow is just that times 12 minutes.

I actually did do it the shorter way which was that 25 joules was given off each second. So total heat flow in 12 mins is '25 * 12 * 60 = 18,000 joules'. Just went for the longer way to double check that my value of K was correct. Should have made it more clearer though nonetheless in my working by showing that.