Calculus-derivative + word problem Can you check my procedure?

In summary: And I don't think the volume equation is needed, since it is already given that the volume is 4π and h = 4/r². The rest of the work can be done with the cost and surface area equations.
stanton

Homework Statement

A cylindrical can is to hold 4π cubic units of juice. The cost per square unit of constructing the metal top and the bottom is twice the cost of constructing the cardboard side. what are the dimensions of least expensive can?
calculus must be used logically to solve this problem and work should be shown.

Homework Equations

The total surface area of the can is: A = 2πrh + 2πr²
The volume of the can is: V = πr²h = 4π, then h = 4/r²

The Attempt at a Solution

connect volume and area equation, A and V.

so that; A = 2πr(4/r²) + 2πr²

We want the area of the top to be a minimum while
having the same volume. Therefore, we need to minimize
r and vary the height. We will take the derivative of the
total surface to accomplish this aim.

dA/dr = 8π(-1/r²) + 4πr = 0,

r = ³√2,

and since the cost of Area of top is twice the area of cardboard; that is,

2πr² = 2(2πrh), then h = r/2

The dimensions for minimum material cost is then:

r = ³√2, and h = 2 ³√2

I did until this. And I will plug this h value and r value in area equation. But I am nut sure i am doing right. especially the part with [since the cost of Area of top is twice the area of cardboard;]
Pleas give me a hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you minimized was the surface area, but what you need to minimize is the cost of constructing the can. You know this because the question asks what are the dimensions the give the least expensive can. So come up with a cost function, and then minimize it.

Where you are going wrong is that you are trying to minimize the wrong thing. The problem does not ask you for minimum area. It wants minimum cost. So instead of writing a formula A = ... for area, you need to write a formula for cost:

C = ?

Hint: Assume the cardboard is $1 per square unit and the top and bottom are $2 per square unit. What would be the cost of the top and bottom? And the side? So you will have C = a formula with r and h in it. Then use your relation between h and r to get a formula for cost in terms of just r. Then go to work on dC/dr.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Where you are going wrong is that you are trying to minimize the wrong thing. The problem does not ask you for minimum area. It wants minimum cost. So instead of writing a formula V = ... for volume, you need to write a formula for cost.

Well that's what I just posted, and you mean "instead of writing a formula C = ... for cost", not volume. He still needs the volume equation to have the relation between h and r.

n!kofeyn said:
Well that's what I just posted, and you mean "instead of writing a formula C = ... for cost", not volume. He still needs the volume equation to have the relation between h and r.

Yep, fixed typo.

1. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative in calculus is a measure of how a function changes with respect to its input. It is the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve, and it represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the function. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term and combining them according to the rule.

3. What is the purpose of using derivatives in real-life situations?

Derivatives are used to solve a variety of real-life problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object, and optimizing business and economic functions.

4. Can you explain the steps for solving a word problem using derivatives?

The steps for solving a word problem using derivatives are as follows: 1) Read the problem carefully and identify what is given and what is asked for. 2) Write down the relevant equations and functions. 3) Use calculus concepts and rules to find the derivative of the function. 4) Set up an equation to represent the given situation and solve for the unknown variable. 5) Check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can you check my procedure for solving a calculus-derivative word problem?

Yes, I can check your procedure for solving a calculus-derivative word problem. Please provide me with the problem, your solution, and your steps, and I will review them to ensure they are correct and accurate.