1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimizing Dimensions to minimize Cost

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A metal can which holds 450 cm^3 is to be manufactured in cylindrical shape. The top and bottom will be cut from two squares and the corner scrap discarded (but paid for). The metal for the sides costs 0.1 cents/cm^2, while the cost for the top and bottom is 0.15cents/cm^2. Allow 0.5cents/cm for the vertical or side seam and 0.6 cents/cm for the seams joining top and bottom to the sides.
    a) Determine the dimensions that would yield a minimum cost. Give dimensions to the nearest thousandth of a centimeter.
    b) Determine the corresponding cost to the nearest hundreth of a cost.

2. Relevant equations

Minimizing is to find the values of a unit of function, when the tangent slope is zero.

therefore,

If C'(A)=0, then we have to find the dimensions when this happens since this is when cost is minimized.

V(cylinder)=∏r^2h
    A(cylinder)=2∏r(h) + 2∏r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I notice that part of the problem states that no matter what dimension, V=450cm^3.

Therefore,

since this is a can cylinder,

V=∏r^2h=450cm^3

and so it is useful to note that:

(450cm^3)/(∏r^2)=h for all h>0 and r>0
    and
    (√((450cm^3)/(h∏)))=r for all h>0 and r>0

So, here's how I went along trying to put certain pieces together:

According to my interpretation of the problem,

Area(top + bottom)=2(∏r^2)
    So,
    Cost(Area(top + bottom))=[.15cents/cm^2][2∏r^2]

Area(side)=2∏r(h) since my intuition tells me this represents the area of a cross section of the side of a cylinder where 2∏r is the circumference of the number of circles you multiply by to get the area

Cost(Area(side))= .15cents/cm^2

So also since for every radius there is a cost and every height there is a cost (I am very currently skeptical about this intuition!)

Cost(Area(side + top + bottom))= .3∏r^2[Cost(r)]^2 + .2∏r(h)[Cost(r)][Cost(h)]

Therefore, by substituting h=(450cm^3)/(∏r^2)

Cost(Area(side + top + bottom))= .3∏(r)^2[cost(r)] + .2∏r(450cm^3/∏r^2)[cost(r)][cost(h)]

Cost(h)=(.6cent/cm)h=(.6cent/cm)[(450cm^3)/(∏r^2)]
    cost(r)=(.5cent/cm)r

Cost(Area(side + top + bottom))=.3∏r^2[(.5cent/cm)r] + .2∏r[450cm^3/∏r^2][(.5cent/cm)r]

Cost'(Area(side + top + bottom))=.9∏[.5cent/cm]r^3 + 45=0 to minimize cost, but r>0 and h>0 what am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You said above, "The metal for the sides costs 0.1 cents/cm^2"

You also need to include the cost of the seams- "Allow 0.5cents/cm for the vertical or side seam and 0.6 cents/cm for the seams joining top and bottom to the sides." The vertical seam has length h so you need to add 0.5h cents and the top and bottom seams have length [itex]2\pi r[/itex], and there are two of them, you need to add [itex](0.5)(4\pi r)= 2\pi r[/itex].

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cost of the top + bottom is (0.15)*2*(2r)^2, because you pay 0.15 per cm^2 for the whole 2r by 2r square (you pay for the discarded corners, you said).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook