Constrained Plane of Motion Problem

In summary, the homework statement is asking for the distance for which the horizontal component of the reaction at C is zero.
RoyalFlush100

Homework Statement

A uniform slender rod of length L = 1180 mm and mass m = 5.4 kg is suspended from a hinge at C. A horizontal force P of magnitude 75 N is applied at end B.

Determine the distance
13252705286110469&Q_13252705286110469_rnd=1%3D7%3B1%284%29%3D71%3B1%281%29%3D1180%3B1%282%29%3D5.gif
for which the horizontal component of the reaction at C is zero.

I have attached the image below.

Homework Equations

M = Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD:
W = mg = (5.4)(9.81) = 52.974 downwards, at G
Cy at C
75 N left, at B (already on the diagram)
Angular Acceleration at B?
Angular Velocity at B?

I'm kind of stuck at the setup and don't really know how to proceed beyond this.

Attachments

• Q2.png
    Q2.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
RoyalFlush100 said:
Angular Velocity at B?
The question is only concerned with the instantaneous circumstance, so there is as yet no velocity at B.
The will be accelerations. If the angular acceleration is α, what will be the linear acceleration of the mass centre?
What equations can you write relating forces to accelerations and torques to angular accelerations?

haruspex said:
The question is only concerned with the instantaneous circumstance, so there is as yet no velocity at B.
The will be accelerations. If the angular acceleration is α, what will be the linear acceleration of the mass centre?
What equations can you write relating forces to accelerations and torques to angular accelerations?
-Since there is no angular velocity the normal acceleration will be equal to 0.
-Likewise, the tangential acceleration will be equal to the product of r and α. However, I am unsure of the direction it will move in.
-Also since that is the total net force, ma = mrα = summation of all forces.
-Also, the torque will equal Iα + mad (the perpendicular d).

So I'm assuming I solve for I, which I think would be equal to (1/12)mL^2 = (1/12)(5.4 kg)(1.180 m)^2 = 0.531 kg*m^2. And that would act at the bar's center.
For the net force, I'm assuming I use this to solve for alpha (in terms of r). Also, I assume the tangental acceleration will be completely to the left, in which case:
mrα = P --> α = P/m/r = (75)/(5.4)/r = 13.889/r.

However, I'm not sure what else I can do from here. Was my assumption about the direction of the acceleration wrong? Was my inertia calculation wrong?

RoyalFlush100 said:
the normal acceleration will be equal to 0.
I guess you mean the radial acceleration.
RoyalFlush100 said:
the tangential acceleration will be equal to the product of r and α.
That will be the linear acceleration of the rod's mass centre, yes.
RoyalFlush100 said:
mrα = P
Correct.

Not sure what you meant by your discussion of torque. For angular accelerations and torques you need to pick a reference axis. It can be any stationary point or the mass centre. If we take the pivot as reference, what is the torque from P about that? What is the moment of inertia of the rod about that? What equation does that give you?

haruspex said:
For angular accelerations and torques you need to pick a reference axis. It can be any stationary point or the mass centre. If we take the pivot as reference, what is the torque from P about that? What is the moment of inertia of the rod about that? What equation does that give you?
Okay so if I understand correctly, we need to sum the torques at C, to solve for r. So now two formulas:
mrα = P --> α = P/(mr)
τ = Iα + mar = (IP)/(mr) + P = (r+L/2)P
Is this setup correctly? Also, I'm unsure about how to calculate the moment of inertia. Is it simply (1/12)mr^2?

RoyalFlush100 said:
Iα + mar = (IP)/(mr) + P
P=mrα, not mra.
RoyalFlush100 said:
moment of inertia. Is it simply (1/12)mr^2?
Yes.

haruspex said:
P=mrα, not mra.

Okay so in that case:
Iα + mar = (r+L/2)P
(1/12)(mr^2)α + mar = rP + PL/2
a = rα
(1/12)(mr^2)α + mαr^2 = rP + PL/2
α = P/(mr)
(1/12)(mr^2)P/(mr) + mPr^2/(mr) = rP + PL/2
(1/12)rP + rP = rP + PL/2
(1/12)r = L/2
r = 6L

Obviously that's not possible, so what did I mess up?

RoyalFlush100 said:
Is it simply (1/12)mr^2?
Sorry, I did not check that properly. You do not mean r there. What should it be?

haruspex said:
Sorry, I did not check that properly. You do not mean r there. What should it be?
Got it, thanks!

1. What is a Constrained Plane of Motion Problem?

A Constrained Plane of Motion Problem is a type of physics problem that involves an object moving along a surface with certain constraints or limitations. These constraints can include forces acting on the object, the shape of the surface, or other external factors. The goal of solving a Constrained Plane of Motion Problem is to determine the motion of the object and any other relevant parameters, such as velocity, acceleration, or energy.

2. What are some common examples of Constrained Plane of Motion Problems?

Some common examples of Constrained Plane of Motion Problems include a ball rolling down a curved ramp, a pendulum swinging back and forth, or a car moving along a winding road. These problems can also be found in engineering and robotics, such as designing a machine to move along a specific path or creating a mechanism with limited range of motion.

3. How do you approach solving a Constrained Plane of Motion Problem?

The first step in solving a Constrained Plane of Motion Problem is to identify all the constraints or limitations on the object's motion. This may involve drawing a free body diagram and using Newton's laws of motion. Next, you can apply equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration. It is also important to consider conservation laws, such as conservation of energy or momentum, to fully understand the motion of the object.

4. What are some challenges of solving a Constrained Plane of Motion Problem?

One of the main challenges of solving a Constrained Plane of Motion Problem is accurately identifying and considering all the constraints on the object's motion. This may involve complex geometry or non-constant forces, which can make the problem more difficult to solve. Additionally, the solution may require multiple steps and equations, making it important to carefully organize and keep track of all the variables involved.

5. How can understanding Constrained Plane of Motion Problems be useful?

Understanding Constrained Plane of Motion Problems can be useful in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It can help in designing and optimizing machines and mechanisms that move along specific paths or have limited range of motion. It can also aid in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in real-world scenarios, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the motion of a roller coaster. Additionally, solving these problems can enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills.