1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Differential Equations and Linear Operator Problem

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm not sure how to approach this. The question involves linear operators and a non-homogenous differential equation.
    Here is the question:
    https://s15.postimg.org/cdmw80157/Capture.png

2. Relevant equations
    They are given in the question

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no idea on how to approach it. I was thinking something along the lines of setting c1*y1+c2*y2+c3*y3 as a linear combination and setting them equal to the non-homongenous term g(x). Then i can find the values of c1,c2,c3.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[Edited] You want to take a linear combination of the ##L(y_i)##'s (the right hand side of the equations) equal to ##g(x)##, not the ##y_i##'s themselves. Then use your constants to build the particular solution from the ##y_i##'s.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. Oct 22, 2016 #3
    I did L(c1y1+c2y2+c3y3)=g(x)=c1*L(y1)+c2*L(y2)+c3*L(y3)
    Then I sub in the L(y1), L(y2), and L(y3) for what was given to me. This leads me to find the constants. Then c1=10/12, c2=0, and c3=5/6.
    However this was wrong.

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I corrected my reply while you were looking at it. Sorry. See if it makes sense now.

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5
    Ah I see. I got the question wrong so I don't know the answer. I will try this once the solution comes out. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted