1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing forces (mechanics)

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've attached a picture of my problem (with diagram): 4.70 .

"For the frame and loading show, determine the reactions at A and C."

From the diagram, you can see that the metal object is made up of 2 parts:
    1) A to B
    2) B to D

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    how do you arrive at the correct direction of the forces (ie: angle of the force; direction of its "application"). I have 2 interpretations and they will give different angles with which the force is applied (same magnitudes though). Which one is the correct interpretation? Because this is a statics problem (bodies at equilibrium), the sum of the forces = 0 (illustrated by the triangles).

How do you logically determine which interpretation (of force directions) is correct when you do these problems?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The simple minded thing to do is just assume there is a horizontal and vertical compoent of force at A B and C. There are no moments at A B or C because the joints are all pinned.

Then write the equations of equilibrium for each two components. There are 3 equations for each component, that's 6 equations for the 6 unknown forces.

If you want top do it by a "neater" method, start by looking at the equlilbrium of AB. Take moments about A (or B) and it should be clear what is the direction the forces at A and B.

Hint: one of the options you drew is right.

4. Mar 17, 2007 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

It is worth also mentioning, the member AB is the special case of a two forces body, and the member BCD of a 3 forces (no parallel) body of statics.

5. Mar 17, 2007 #4
    Thanks guys. Even though something is pinned though, there can still be a moment of the reaction forces at that point. I have a test tomorrow so when I'm done with it (may take a day or 2 for me to get remotivated, but I'll post something that shows that). I'll also try your way to figure out the prob. Hopefully this won't be asked before I figure it out :)

I'm appending what I wrote: above... the moment of the forces where something in "pinned" = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?