Container filled with gas - interaction between the molecules

In summary, this explanation discusses how heat is transferred from the wall of a container to the gas inside.
edyacc
Hello there,

I'm studying thermodynamics right now, and a question popped into my mind for which I haven't found a decent and detailed explanation so far. Say that we have a container filled with any kind of gas, and we can control the temperature of the wall of the container. If we increase the temperature of the wall soon the gas inside heats up as well. I'm curious how is that heat dissipated from the wall to the gas using a microscopic view (like: due to the increased temperature the molecules in the wall the start resonate more rapidly and the molecules of the gas collide with the molecules of the wall and blablabla...) If you can answer or tell me where can I find a comprehensive study concerning this, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A day passed and still no answers :(
Let me rephrase then:
Is there an explanation for how the transfer of energy/heat happens between solid (wall) and gas molecules on the atomic scale?
Pretty please, I'm really curious. Someone help me?

Hello edy, welcome to physics forums.

This is a very good question, but not the best time of year to ask it.

However here is a simple kinetic theory explanation.

Consider the particles or molecules. Any molecules, gas molecules, container molecules whatever.

A collision, capable of transferring energy (heat) is said to occur when the distance between the centres equals the sum of their radii.

The probability of a collision depends upon the size of the area defined by this sum and is often called the effective cross section and given the symbol sigma (σ).

The rate of collisions depends in turn on the probability and the rate of energy transfer upon the rate of collisions.

So ultimately the rate of energy transfer depends upon the effective cross section.

Now if the wall molecules are moving with increased vibrational speed and amplitude due to increased temperature, their effective cross section is increased, increasing the rate of transfer.

Another way to look at this is to to say that the increased cross section decreases the mean free path length between collisions.

go well

edyacc said:
Hello there,

I'm studying thermodynamics right now, and a question popped into my mind for which I haven't found a decent and detailed explanation so far. Say that we have a container filled with any kind of gas, and we can control the temperature of the wall of the container. If we increase the temperature of the wall soon the gas inside heats up as well. I'm curious how is that heat dissipated from the wall to the gas using a microscopic view (like: due to the increased temperature the molecules in the wall the start resonate more rapidly and the molecules of the gas collide with the molecules of the wall and blablabla...) If you can answer or tell me where can I find a comprehensive study concerning this, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance.

Energy (heat) travels from the wall to the gas in two ways: electromagnetic radiation and conduction (transfer of kinetic energy).

The walls and the gas both emit photons, but the wall being hotter emits more. The gas absorbs more photons than it emits and grows warmer.

The molecules in the wall also vibrate in place. This kinetic energy of vibration can be transferred to the impacting gas molecules as increased kinetic energy of translation. Imagine a golf ball hitting a strongly vibrating panel.

Quantum considerations keep the wall's kinetic energy of vibration from being transferred as increased kinetic energy of vibration for the gas molecules. The energy needed to get gas molecules to vibrate is much, much greater [about 5ev] than energy available from solid molecule vibrations.

This increased kinetic energy of translation of the gas molecules is measured as increased gas temperature.

For more detail, see books on kinetic gas theory, statistical mechanics/statistical thermodynamics, and quantum thermodynamics. Note that these are in increasing order of difficulty.

Hello,

That's a great question! The interaction between the molecules in a container filled with gas is quite complex and involves various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of gas present. However, let me try to explain the basic process of heat dissipation from the wall to the gas using a microscopic view.

As you mentioned, when the temperature of the wall increases, the molecules in the wall start to vibrate more rapidly. This increase in vibration causes the molecules to collide with each other more frequently and with greater force. These collisions transfer energy from the wall molecules to the gas molecules, causing them to gain kinetic energy and increase their own vibrations.

At the same time, the gas molecules are also colliding with each other and with the walls of the container. These collisions create a sort of "chain reaction" where the energy from the wall molecules is transferred to the gas molecules, and then to other gas molecules, and so on. This process continues until the energy is evenly distributed throughout the gas and the temperature of the gas reaches equilibrium with the temperature of the wall.

To get a more comprehensive understanding of this process, I would suggest studying the kinetic theory of gases, which explains the behavior of gases at a microscopic level. You can also look into thermodynamics and the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the transfer of heat and energy in a system.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep exploring and learning about these fascinating concepts in thermodynamics!

What is a container filled with gas?

A container filled with gas refers to a closed vessel that contains a gas at a specific pressure and temperature. The gas molecules inside the container are in constant motion, colliding with each other and the walls of the container.

How do the gas molecules interact with each other?

The gas molecules interact with each other through collisions. These collisions cause the molecules to exert pressure on the walls of the container. The force of the collisions and the frequency of the collisions are determined by the temperature and the number of molecules inside the container.

What is the relationship between the temperature and the speed of gas molecules?

The temperature and the speed of gas molecules are directly proportional. As the temperature increases, the average speed of the gas molecules also increases. This is because the heat energy increases the kinetic energy of the molecules, causing them to move faster.

How does changing the volume of the container affect the pressure of the gas?

According to Boyle's Law, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of the container decreases, the pressure of the gas increases. Conversely, as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.

What happens to the gas molecules when the container is heated?

When the container is heated, the gas molecules gain kinetic energy and move faster. This results in an increase in pressure and the gas expanding to fill a larger volume. This is known as thermal expansion and is governed by Charles's Law.