1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Continuity and Dense Subsets of the Real Numbers

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]f[/itex] is continuous and [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex] in a dense subset of the real numbers, then [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Does this solution work? And if it does, can it be improved in some way?

Proof: From the continuity of [itex]f[/itex], for every [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex] we can find a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex], such that if [itex]|x-a| < \delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(x)-f(a)| < \varepsilon[/itex]. Because [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex] in a dense subset of the real numbers, it's clearly possible to choose a number [itex]x_0[/itex] from [itex](a-\delta,a+\delta)[/itex] with [itex]f(x_0)=0[/itex]. This means that [itex]|f(x_0)-f(a)| = |f(a)| < \varepsilon[/itex]. Since this is necessarily true for any given [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex], it follows that [itex]|f(a)| < \varepsilon[/itex] for all [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex]. By the Archimedean property of the real numbers, 0 is the only real number satisfying this criterion, so [itex]f(a)=0[/itex]. Clearly, this holds for any number where [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, so [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], completing the proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Looks fine to me.

4. Sep 9, 2010 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks. Is there any way that I can improve my proof then?

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, your proof is assuming f is uniformly continuous, which you don't necessarily have. It's more straightforward to do a proof by contradiction. Assume f(x0)=c where c is not zero. Can you show that leads to a contradiction?

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5

jgens

Gold Member

Dick, can you explain how my proof assumes uniform continuity? And yes, I know that I can prove it that way because that was my first thought, I'm just trying to see if it's possible to do it without using a contradiction.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. Sep 9, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I take that back. The only reason I thought that is because you mentioned delta before you mentioned 'a'. I would put an "At any point a since f is continuous at a..." at the beginning. Or at least make it clear that delta depends on a. Otherwise a careless reader like me might think you are assuming otherwise.

8. Sep 9, 2010 #7

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks! I'm sorry about that. I'll be more careful in the future.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook