Prove that the logarithmic function is continuous on R.

• Thread starter Portuga
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]f\left(x\right)=\log_{a}x[/itex] is continuous for all [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Homework Equations

[/B]

I must find a [itex]\delta>0\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] for a given [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex]
such that
[tex]
\left|x-x_{0}\right|<\delta\Rightarrow\left|\log_{a}x-\log_{a}x_{0}\right|<\varepsilon.
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

.[/B]

I tried to use a direct proof solving [itex]\left|\log_{a}x-\log_{a}x_{0}\right|<\varepsilon[/itex] for [itex]x[/itex]. But this gives rise to a pair of values: [itex]\delta=x_{0}\left(a^{\varepsilon}-1\right)[/itex] and [itex]\delta=x_{0}\left(a^{-\varepsilon}-1\right)[/itex]. When I use them to build [itex]\left|x-x_{0}\right| < \delta[/itex] from the inequality
[tex]
-\delta<x-x_{0}<\delta
[/tex]
I see myself in big trouble, as there is no way to generate [itex]\left|\log_{a}x-\log_{a}x_{0}\right| < \varepsilon[/itex].

Can someone give me a hint, or a new strategy? I have searched for help in other forums, but hints are very sophisticated to follow.
Thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
How do you expect a function that is not defined at ##x =0## to be continuous on the entire real line?

How do you expect a function that is not defined at ##x =0## to be continuous on the entire real line?
Oh, sorry, I forgot it! Continuous for all [itex] x>0 [/itex].

Why don't you try and see where ##\log x - \log x_0 = \log \frac{x}{x_0}## gets you? Those proofs can often be done by writing it the wrong way and start with ##|f(x)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon## to obtain a condition for ##\delta## to get an idea and then turn the estimations, resp. conclusions around.

pasmith
Homework Helper
You have solved [tex]
-\epsilon < \log_a (x/x_0) < \epsilon[/tex] correctly to get [tex]
x_0(a^{-\epsilon} - 1) < x - x_0 < x_0(a^{\epsilon} - 1),[/tex] but the interval is not symmetric about zero.

In this situation the closest end point to zero gives you your [itex]\delta[/itex]. For suppose [itex]-b < x - x_0 < c[/itex] for strictly positive [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex]. If [itex]b < c[/itex] then [itex]|x - x_0| < b[/itex] implies [itex]-b < x - x_0 < b < c[/itex] as required; alternatively if [itex]b > c[/itex] then [itex]|x - x_0| < c[/itex] implies [itex]-b < -c < x - x_0 < c[/itex], again as required.

Thank you very much, pasmith! I was so close to the answer!! Now I understand. Thank you very much.