1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the logarithmic function is continuous on R.

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [itex]f\left(x\right)=\log_{a}x[/itex] is continuous for all [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I must find a [itex]\delta>0\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] for a given [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex]
    such that
    [tex]
    \left|x-x_{0}\right|<\delta\Rightarrow\left|\log_{a}x-\log_{a}x_{0}\right|<\varepsilon.
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution.

I tried to use a direct proof solving [itex]\left|\log_{a}x-\log_{a}x_{0}\right|<\varepsilon[/itex] for [itex]x[/itex]. But this gives rise to a pair of values: [itex]\delta=x_{0}\left(a^{\varepsilon}-1\right)[/itex] and [itex]\delta=x_{0}\left(a^{-\varepsilon}-1\right)[/itex]. When I use them to build [itex]\left|x-x_{0}\right| < \delta[/itex] from the inequality
    [tex]
    -\delta<x-x_{0}<\delta
    [/tex]
    I see myself in big trouble, as there is no way to generate [itex]\left|\log_{a}x-\log_{a}x_{0}\right| < \varepsilon[/itex].

Can someone give me a hint, or a new strategy? I have searched for help in other forums, but hints are very sophisticated to follow.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you expect a function that is not defined at ##x =0## to be continuous on the entire real line?

4. Jul 29, 2017 #3
    Oh, sorry, I forgot it! Continuous for all [itex] x>0 [/itex].

5. Jul 29, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you try and see where ##\log x - \log x_0 = \log \frac{x}{x_0}## gets you? Those proofs can often be done by writing it the wrong way and start with ##|f(x)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon## to obtain a condition for ##\delta## to get an idea and then turn the estimations, resp. conclusions around.

6. Aug 1, 2017 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

You have solved [tex]
    -\epsilon < \log_a (x/x_0) < \epsilon[/tex] correctly to get [tex]
    x_0(a^{-\epsilon} - 1) < x - x_0 < x_0(a^{\epsilon} - 1),[/tex] but the interval is not symmetric about zero.

In this situation the closest end point to zero gives you your [itex]\delta[/itex]. For suppose [itex]-b < x - x_0 < c[/itex] for strictly positive [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex]. If [itex]b < c[/itex] then [itex]|x - x_0| < b[/itex] implies [itex]-b < x - x_0 < b < c[/itex] as required; alternatively if [itex]b > c[/itex] then [itex]|x - x_0| < c[/itex] implies [itex]-b < -c < x - x_0 < c[/itex], again as required.

7. Aug 1, 2017 #6
    Thank you very much, pasmith! I was so close to the answer!! Now I understand. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted