1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity and measuring resistance.

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    This question is for a project I'm doing for my circuits class.

I'm trying to diagnose a problem. Basically I got this coil. I measured the resistance of the coil by connecting the ends of my multimeter to the uncoated ends of the coil. I got a resistance value.
    However, when I tried checking for continuity of the coil from the 2 ends, it shows up as an open circuit.

My question is is it possible to have a noticeable resistance from a coil, but no continuity?

My understanding is that with no continuity, you have an open circuit. An open circuit is basically infinite resistance, but the resistance I measured was about 80 ohms.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like your meter has a problem. Are the batteries fresh? What was the resistance value? If you connect the same value resistor to your meter, what does the continuity reading indicate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted