Continuity at lines through a point implying continuity at the point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity of a function f:\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R} at the origin, given that it is continuous everywhere except possibly at the origin. It is also assumed that for any point p\in\mathbb{R}^2, the function s_p:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^2 defined by s_p(t) = tp is continuous, and that f\circ s_p is continuous as a function \mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R} for all p. The discussion suggests that it may be possible to find a counterexample to show that f is not necessarily continuous at the origin, by
uman

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f:\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] be continuous everywhere except, possibly, at the origin. Furthermore, for any point [tex]p\in\mathbb{R}^2[/tex], let [tex]s_p:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] be defined by [tex]s_p(t) = tp[/tex]. Now assume that [tex]f\circ s_p[/tex] is continuous, as a function [tex]\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/tex], for all [tex]p[/tex]. Does this necessarily imply that [tex]f[/tex] is continuous at the origin?

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can envision some sort of spiral approaching the origin on which [tex]f[/tex] is uniquely 1. [tex]f[/tex] would be uniquely 0 sufficiently far away from the spiral, and the transition from 1 to 0 would be steeper and steeper as the spiral approaches the origin. I can't turn this into a formal counterexample but it makes me believe intuitively that finding a counterexample is possible. I wish I could give a better description of what I have in mind. :D

In other words, to find a counterexample, it should (in my intuition) be necessary to make use of the fact that [tex]R^2\setminus \{0\}[/tex] is not compact.

Physics news on Phys.org
See what you can do with something like

[tex]\vec R(r,\theta) = \langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta,\sin\theta\rangle,\ 0\le r \le 1,\ 0\le\theta\le 2\pi[/tex]

Don't know why it won't let me edit that post, but here's a better one:

[tex]
\vec R(r,\theta) = \langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta,|\sin\theta|\rangle,\ 0\le r \le 1,\ 0\le\theta\le 2\pi
[/tex]

Do a parametric plot of it and see what you think.

1. What is continuity at a point?

Continuity at a point means that a function is defined and has a finite value at that particular point, and that the limits from both sides of the point approach the same value.

2. How is continuity at a point different from continuity on an interval?

Continuity at a point focuses on the behavior of a function at a specific point, while continuity on an interval looks at the behavior of the function over a range of values.

3. Can a function be continuous at a point but not on an interval?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a point but not on an interval. This means that the function is defined and has a finite value at the point, but it may have a discontinuity at other points within the interval.

4. How does continuity at a point imply continuity on a line?

If a function is continuous at a point, it means that both the left and right limits approach the same value at that point. This also means that the function is defined and continuous on both sides of the point, which implies continuity on the line through that point.

5. What is the importance of studying continuity at lines through a point?

Studying continuity at lines through a point helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point and how it relates to the rest of the function. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the function at other points on the line.