Continuity Equation - For a vertical pipe

In summary, the continuity equation when applied to a vertical pipe with constant diameter may seem counterintuitive because common sense tells us that the fluid should accelerate due to gravity. However, this is not the case because of two assumptions: steady flow and incompressible liquid. The viscosity of the fluid also plays a role in maintaining constant velocity throughout the pipe, with a velocity gradient at the walls and maximum velocity at the center. This allows for a balance of forces and results in no downward acceleration of the fluid.
hermish
I don't understand the ideas behind the continuity equation when applied to a vertical pipe. In all the questions I see regarding a vertical pipe of constant diameter, I see that the fluid's velocity will remain constant while traveling through the pipe. Common sense will tell you this isn't true despite what the formula tells you. The fluid will accelerate because of gravity, giving it a different velocity the further you go down the pipe.

I'm well aware of the two assumptions required for the continuity equation : 1. Steady Flow and 2. Incompressible liquid - and I'm sure this isn't relevant to any acceleration due to gravity.

Can someone please explain this?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a concrete amount of fluid that is poured down the pipe or do you keep pouring and pouring, increasing the total amount of it as time passes by? If you visualise this in your head, say you have a small diameter pipe of like...0.5 cm? Let some amount of fluid into it, the speed doesn't increase, it moves the same all throughout the pipe but ofcourse, there are different kinds of fluid, I always thought it has also to do with the viscosity of it.

lendav_rott said:
Is this a concrete amount of fluid that is poured down the pipe or do you keep pouring and pouring, increasing the total amount of it as time passes by? If you visualise this in your head, say you have a small diameter pipe of like...0.5 cm? Let some amount of fluid into it, the speed doesn't increase, it moves the same all throughout the pipe but ofcourse, there are different kinds of fluid, I always thought it has also to do with the viscosity of it.

You're right about the viscosity. The fluid is not all traveling downward at the same rate. The downward velocity at the wall is zero, and the downward velocity at the center of the tube is maximum. This velocity gradient with respect to radial position times the viscosity translates into a shear stress in the fluid. The shear stress distribution supports the weight of the fluid, so that there is no downward acceleration (aside from the entrance effects). The net downward force on each parcel of fluid is zero, so it travels downward at constant velocity.

1. What is the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that states that the mass entering a system must equal the mass exiting the system, taking into account any changes in density or velocity.

2. How is the continuity equation expressed mathematically?

The continuity equation can be expressed as A1V1 = A2V2, where A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe and V is the velocity of the fluid.

3. Why is the continuity equation important in fluid dynamics?

The continuity equation is important because it allows us to understand how fluids move through a system and how changes in velocity and density affect the overall flow. It is used in many engineering applications, such as designing pipelines and calculating flow rates.

4. How does the continuity equation apply to a vertical pipe?

In a vertical pipe, the continuity equation still holds true. However, the cross-sectional area and velocity may change as the fluid moves through the pipe due to changes in pressure and gravity. As the fluid moves downward, the velocity increases and the cross-sectional area decreases, maintaining the balance in the continuity equation.

5. Are there any limitations to the continuity equation?

The continuity equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density remains constant throughout the system. It also assumes that the flow is steady and there are no sources or sinks of mass within the system. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true, so the continuity equation may not accurately predict the behavior of the fluid.