Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous and discrete spectra

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    Is there any way to convert a continuous, aperiodic spectrum, to a discrete spectrum, in a signal? If so, would part of he energy of this signal be lost, im this process of conversion, or would it be " distributed" amomg the various frequencies?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure I fully understand your question. Sampling the spectrum is equivalent to multiplying it with a Dirac Comb function and then the signal you get from transforming back to the time domain would be a convolution of the original signal and the FT of the comb function. If the original signal is only present for a limited time 0 - T , this would allow lossless reconstruction when the frequency samples are less than 1/(2T) apart

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3
    Yes. Thanks..It s exactly what I was asking for. No losses than? Of any kind?

5. Oct 27, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No losses. It is the equivalent of Shannon's theorem but now from the frequncy domain to the time domain instead of the other way around.

6. Oct 27, 2016 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the equivalent of the Nyquist criterion for temporal sampling. I'm trying to get my head around how to specify the equivalent to a practical Nyquist LP filter in this process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted