Continuous deformation of the path

In summary, the conversation discusses experimenting with a family of paths with common endpoints and real parameter a, as well as integrating non-analytic and analytic functions and exploring how the results depend on a. The conversation also includes questions about specific equations and whether they are formulated correctly.
John O' Meara
Experiment with a family of paths with common endpoints, say [tex] z(t) = t + \iota a sin(t) 0 \leq \ t \ \leq \pi[/tex], with real parameter a. Integrate non-analytic functions (Re(z), Re(z^2), etc.) and explore how the result depends on a. Take analytic functions of your choice compare and comment.
Relevant equations:
[tex] \int_C f(z(t))\frac{dz}{dt} dt.\\[/tex]
f(z) =Re(z) = x but x(t)=t; a=1.
[tex] \frac{dz(t)}{dt}=1 +\iota \cos t \ \mbox{therefore} \ \int_C f(z) dz = \int_0 ^{\pi}t(1 + \iota \cos t)dt \\ [/tex]
[tex] \mbox{with a=2} \ \int_C f(z)dz = \int_0 ^{\pi} t(\+2\iota \cos t)dt \ \\ \mbox{ with a =3} \int_Cf(z)dz= \ \int_0 ^{\pi} t(1+3\iota \cos t)dt \\[/tex]
We now take a second non-analytic function f(z)=Re(z^2) and a=1 [tex] f(z)=t^2-\sin^2 t \ \int_C f(z)dz \ = \ \int(t^2-\sin^2t)(1+\iota \cos t)dt \\ [/tex]
[tex] \mbox{ with a=2} \ \Re{z^2}=t^2-4\sin^2 t \ \mbox{therefore} \ \int_C \Re{z^2}dz \ = \ \int_0 ^{\pi}(t^2-4\sin^2t)(1+2\iota \cos t)dt \\ [/tex] .....(v)
Now taking some analytic functions with a=1; [tex] f(z) =z^2 = (t^2+\iota\sin t)^2 \ \ z(t)=t +\iota\sin t \ \ \frac{dz}{dt}=1 + \iota\cos t \ \\ \int_C z^2 dz = \int_0 ^{\pi} (t+\iota\sin t )^2(1+\iota \cos t)dt \\[/tex] ......(vi)
[tex] \mbox{with a=2 } \ z(t)=t+2\iota\sin t \ \ \frac{dz(t)}{dt} \ = \ 1 + 2\iota\cos t \ \ f(z(t)) \ = \ (t \ + \ 2\iota\sin t)^2 \ \ \int_C z^2 dz \ = \ \int_0 ^{\pi} (t+2\iota\sin t)^2(1+2\iota\cos t)dt\\[/tex] ......(vii)
When I carry out the integration for integrals (vi) and (vii) I don't get the same answer for them though they are analytic functions and should be independent of the path. I think the integrals may be wrongly formulated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The questions are:Am I correct to say that Re(z)=t, when a=1?
Am I right to say that Re(z^2) = t^2 - 4sin^2(t), when a=2, in equation (v)?
Am I correct in putting z^2 =(t+isin(t))^2 when a=1, in equation (vi)?
Am I correct in putting z^2 =(t+2isin(t))^2 when a=2 in equation (vii)?
Thanks for the help.

John O' Meara said:
The questions are:Am I correct to say that Re(z)=t, when a=1?
Am I right to say that Re(z^2) = t^2 - 4sin^2(t), when a=2, in equation (v)?
Am I correct in putting z^2 =(t+isin(t))^2 when a=1, in equation (vi)?
Am I correct in putting z^2 =(t+2isin(t))^2 when a=2 in equation (vii)?
Thanks for the help.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

1. What is continuous deformation of the path?

Continuous deformation of the path, also known as homotopy, is a process in topology where a continuous transformation is applied to a path in a mathematical space, without changing the start and end points of the path. This allows for the path to be continuously deformed into different shapes without breaking or tearing.

2. How is continuous deformation of the path used in science?

Continuous deformation of the path is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to study the properties of objects and spaces, and to understand how they can be transformed and manipulated while maintaining their essential characteristics.

3. What are the applications of continuous deformation of the path?

Continuous deformation of the path has many applications, including in the study of topological spaces, in the analysis of data, and in the development of algorithms for optimization and simulation. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic movements.

4. How does continuous deformation of the path relate to topology?

Continuous deformation of the path is a fundamental concept in topology. It is used to define topological equivalence, which is a way of determining if two objects or spaces are essentially the same, despite having different shapes or structures. This concept is important in understanding the properties and relationships between different mathematical spaces.

5. Can continuous deformation of the path be visualized?

Yes, continuous deformation of the path can be visualized through animations and simulations. It is also often represented using diagrams and graphs to show the transformation of a path over time. However, it is important to note that these visualizations are just representations and may not accurately depict the complex mathematical concepts involved in continuous deformation of the path.