1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous deformation of the path

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    Experiment with a family of paths with common endpoints, say [tex] z(t) = t + \iota a sin(t) 0 \leq \ t \ \leq \pi[/tex], with real parameter a. Integrate non-analytic functions (Re(z), Re(z^2), etc.) and explore how the result depends on a. Take analytic functions of your choice compare and comment.
    Relevant equations:
    [tex] \int_C f(z(t))\frac{dz}{dt} dt.\\[/tex]
    f(z) =Re(z) = x but x(t)=t; a=1.
    [tex] \frac{dz(t)}{dt}=1 +\iota \cos t \ \mbox{therefore} \ \int_C f(z) dz = \int_0 ^{\pi}t(1 + \iota \cos t)dt \\ [/tex]
    [tex] \mbox{with a=2} \ \int_C f(z)dz = \int_0 ^{\pi} t(\+2\iota \cos t)dt \ \\ \mbox{ with a =3} \int_Cf(z)dz= \ \int_0 ^{\pi} t(1+3\iota \cos t)dt \\[/tex]
    We now take a second non-analytic function f(z)=Re(z^2) and a=1 [tex] f(z)=t^2-\sin^2 t \ \int_C f(z)dz \ = \ \int(t^2-\sin^2t)(1+\iota \cos t)dt \\ [/tex]
    [tex] \mbox{ with a=2} \ \Re{z^2}=t^2-4\sin^2 t \ \mbox{therefore} \ \int_C \Re{z^2}dz \ = \ \int_0 ^{\pi}(t^2-4\sin^2t)(1+2\iota \cos t)dt \\ [/tex] ..............(v)
    Now taking some analytic functions with a=1; [tex] f(z) =z^2 = (t^2+\iota\sin t)^2 \ \ z(t)=t +\iota\sin t \ \ \frac{dz}{dt}=1 + \iota\cos t \ \\ \int_C z^2 dz = \int_0 ^{\pi} (t+\iota\sin t )^2(1+\iota \cos t)dt \\[/tex] ....................(vi)
    [tex] \mbox{with a=2 } \ z(t)=t+2\iota\sin t \ \ \frac{dz(t)}{dt} \ = \ 1 + 2\iota\cos t \ \ f(z(t)) \ = \ (t \ + \ 2\iota\sin t)^2 \ \ \int_C z^2 dz \ = \ \int_0 ^{\pi} (t+2\iota\sin t)^2(1+2\iota\cos t)dt\\[/tex] .......................(vii)
    When I carry out the integration for integrals (vi) and (vii) I don't get the same answer for them though they are analytic functions and should be independent of the path. I think the integrals may be wrongly formulated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2
    The questions are:Am I correct to say that Re(z)=t, when a=1?
    Am I right to say that Re(z^2) = t^2 - 4sin^2(t), when a=2, in equation (v)?
    Am I correct in putting z^2 =(t+isin(t))^2 when a=1, in equation (vi)?
    Am I correct in putting z^2 =(t+2isin(t))^2 when a=2 in equation (vii)?
    Thanks for the help.
  4. Nov 23, 2007 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?