1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous function / epsilon-delta

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]h: \Re \rightarrow \Re[/tex] be a continuous function such that h(a)>0 for some [tex]a \in \Re[/tex]. Prove that there exists a [tex] \delta >0 [/tex] such that h(x)>0 provided that [tex] |x-a|< \delta [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Continuity of h means that there exists and [tex]\epsilon >0 [/tex] such that [tex] |h(x)-h(a)| < \epsilon [/tex] provided that [tex] |x-a| < \delta [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried starting with the definition of continuity and perhaps the intermediate value theorem, but I haven't been able to get started.

Any suggestions on how to get started?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    so because of the continuity of your function you know that there exists a delta greater than zero that will satisfy this. h(x) is greater than zero because you know that h(a) is greater than zero and if x is close to a the function has to stay positive. if it jumped around then it wouldn't be continuous.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    Yes, that makes sense intuitively. I'm still unsure how to start writing a formal proof though.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the definition of "limit", let [math]\epsilon= \frac{h(a)}{2}[/itex].

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    Ok, Would this work:

If h(x)> h(a) then h(x)>0 since h(x)>h(a)>0.

If h(x)<h(a) then h(a)-h(x) > 0. Then because h is a continuous function there exists a [tex] \delta>0 [/tex] such that [tex] |x-a|< \delta [/tex] implies that [tex] |h(x)-h(a)|< \epsilon [/tex]. In this case h(a)-h(x) > 0, so [tex] 0 < h(a)-h(x) < \epsilon [/tex].

If [tex]\epsilon = \frac{h(a)}{2} [/tex] then
    [tex] 0< h(a)-h(x)< \epsilon [/tex]
    [tex] 0< h(a)-h(x)< \frac{h(a)}{2} [/tex]
    [tex] 0< \frac{h(a)}{2}< h(x) [/tex]
    and therefore h(x) is greater then zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook