1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous random variable (supply and demand)

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the winter, the monthly demand in tonnes, for solid fuel from a coal merchant may be modelled by the continuous random variable X with probability density function given by:

[itex]f(x)=\frac{x}{30}[/itex] 0≤x<6

[itex]f(x)=\frac{(12-x)^{2}}{180}[/itex] 6≤x≤12

[itex]f(x)=0 [/itex] otherwise

(a) Sketch y=f(x) - Done and correct
    (b) State, giving a reason, whether the median demand is less than 6 tonnes - Done and correct
    (c) Calculate the mean monthly demand - Done and correct
    (d) Show that P(X≥8)=16/135 - Done (and being a "show that", correct)

The coal merchant has sufficient storage for 8 tonnes of solid fuel and this is replenished each month. Find the expected amount of solid fuel sold each month. - This is the question that I need help with

2. Relevant equations

Not sure there are any relative equations, I know how to find probabilities by integration and also how to get between PDFs and CDFs.

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was that it would be the same as in (c) ie. 5.4 tonnes, but then I realised that this can't be the case because if monthly demand goes above 8 tonnes, the merchant doesn't have any more coal to sell.

Second thought was that I could just chop the definition of f(x) and do:
    [tex][/tex][itex]\int^{8}_{0}xf(x)[/itex]
    To find the expectation of sales, but then the original definition of f(x) would not have an area of 1 so I think this would make it invalid.

Thirdly I thought I really was stuck and even looking at the answer in the book I couldn't fathom how they got to it (5.28 tonnes). Interestingly this is simply the answer to (c) [5.4 tonnes] minus the answer to (d), but this surely doesn't make sense? Imagine the merchant had sufficient storage for zero tonnes, P(X≥0)=1 but 5.4-1≠0 and so this clearly doesn't work.

Obviously I'm looking for some help with the problem and I know I have to demonstrate that I've given it a proper go myself before anyone can help me. I hope you can understand that I have given this a good deal of thought, but as I can't get past the thinking stage all I am able to write down is what I have argued with myself!

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If S is the amount sold in a month, the S = X if X ≤ 8 and 8 if X > 8. Try using the distribution of S.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sales S = min(C,X), where C = capacity (= starting inventory) and X = demand. That is: if X >= C you just sell all C units; if X < C you just sell X units.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook